walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn and a rainbow seen from above

Bla Bheinn and a rainbow seen from above

Postby jacob » Sat May 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 01/05/2016

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All too soon holidays come to their end. Bla Bheinn had been on my bucketlist since we first discovered Scotland and this website. Two days before setting of for home again, we were going to finally climb it. The weather had been very diverse the past 8 days since we arrived in Scotland, but overall good. Most precipitation fell as snow or hail (which I don't mind), the rain mostly only fell at nighttime. And no day had been without sun. So we were fully confident this walk was going to be a beauty and a succes as well.

Driving from Broadford towards Elgol, this was our first sight of Bla Bheinn, causing nothing but strenghtened excitement.

SAM_2997 wh.jpg
Bla Bheinn doing its name justice.

Getting closer however, the blue turned to a beautiful red of the heather along the perfect path.

SAM_2926 wh.jpg

Finding and following the path is easy enough, so we headed off upwards only to stop for a couple of kodak-moments at the waterfalls along the way.

SAM_2927 wh.jpg
As I said, although the weather has been good on us, it has been raining and snowing a lost over the past days. Allt na Dunaiche was impressively big and it's waterfalls even more.

Because of Allt na Dunaiche being in spate, we couldn't do the regular rivercrossing and we had to head up northeast to find a proper crossing possibility. No hard work in that, just an extreme BOG guarantee.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From there on no problems though in reaching and traversing Coire Uaigneich, a beautiful gorge/gully (?) that reminded me of previous walks in Norway.

SAM_2930 wh.jpg
Coire Uaigneich

IMG_4053.JPG
And me climbing it. The beautiful crags of Bla Bheinn to the right. What an amazing landscape. What an amazing mountain.

Sunshine came and sunshine went, as did fog, clouds and hail. The point where to turn right after Coire Uaigneich was not easily chosen, even though the slope was full of paths. Which one is the best one? No need for overthinking though, so up we went.

SAM_2934 wh.jpg
View on An Stac and Loch Fionna-choire.

SAM_2936 wh.jpg
And the mrs making her way up. Hard to capture on a photo what a wonderfully spacious place Fionna-choire is.

We soon gained height and left An Stac well behind us, giving a nice view on the start of the walk and the approach route.

SAM_2938 wh.jpg

On the slopes we were literally attacked by a hailstorm. As all bad weather has done the past days, the attack only lasted some 15 minutes. Offering a nice dramatic shot though.

SAM_2945 wh.jpg
Waiting out the hailstorm. Blurred views on Loch Slapin.

By the time the storm was almost over, we headed further up again, tackling the last bit of the scree and boulder slopes.

SAM_2947 wh.jpg

SAM_2948 wh.jpg
Skies clearing, offering good views on Fionna-choire again.

From there it wouldn't take long before the views on Clach Glas, the Red Hills and the Black Cuillin would open up behind see-throughs.

SAM_2949 wh.jpg
The red hills.

SAM_2951 wh.jpg
The Black Cuillin.

SAM_2952 wh.jpg
And Clach Glas.

All these views didn't go at the expense of views towards the start of the walk.

SAM_2955 wh.jpg

And it wasn't for long before, after the promised minor scramble, we arrived at the summit. No views whatsoever at arrival, but with our experiences over the past days, we were confident in getting them later on.

SAM_2957 wh.jpg
Summit selfie. Don't hate me for it ;)

And after a while we got what we hoped for.

SAM_2968 wh.jpg
Skies clearing up.

And more. We got a rainbow. From above. Never experienced it, never seen it. Normally I'm no sucker for rainbows, but this one seemed quite special to me.

SAM_2965 wh.jpg

SAM_2966 wh.jpg

To be honest, I was even a bit surprised and struck by my, maybe slightly childish or naïve thought: if you're above the rainbow, shouldn't it be turned upside down? :lol: :lol:

What a stunning mountain. Pity to have to leave it behind again.

SAM_2982 wh.jpg

And with a windspeed of about 100 km an hour, I even attempted a panorama. Don't click if you expect a lot:

https://vimeo.com/165667706

See you all next year!
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Bla Bheinn and a rainbow seen from above

Postby steven65 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:35 am

Thanks for the photos Jacob , I`m heading here tomorrow from Camasunary - hoping for some sun..........
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun May 08, 2016 11:09 am

Nice one Jacob. Bla Bheinn's a lovely mountain and there's definitely something about mountain rainbows.. I'm always confused about how I can be above it :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Jaxter » Sun May 08, 2016 3:39 pm

That looks a special day -lovely photos! :clap: I'd never thought about rainbows being upside down :shock: Glad you did manage to get those wonderful views :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 08, 2016 5:54 pm

We were the same as you getting no views from the top - but in our case it didn't clear. :? Great mountain though. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Sun May 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Some cracking pics there, Jacob. Blaven is one I still have to do, hopefully this year when I'm hoping to do the Cuillin Ridge again, weather permitting.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 09, 2016 10:36 am

Lovely, glad you got some views, its an utterly amazing place to be.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 am

Great photos, looks like you had a fine day out there.

If the sun is higher than 42 degrees in the sky, the top of the rainbow's arc will appear below the horizon (the centre of the rainbow's arc is always directly opposite the sun), in which case you can only see a rainbow if the you are higher than the raindrops refracting the sunlight back to you. It is possible to see the entire circle, more easily from the air than from a mountain (see http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/11/1413004153578_wps_15_PIC_BY_BIRDSEYE_VIEW_AERI.jpg )
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jacob » Mon May 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks at everyone, with a special mentioning of jmarkb, for I can always appreciate some science :)
Stefen should be up there right now and Alteknacker: I do hope you get to it this year. Waiting for your report.
jacob

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Great result, just a pity about the clag at the top - still, you saw a lot more than me :roll:

jacob wrote:To be honest, I was even a bit surprised and struck by my, maybe slightly childish or naïve thought: if you're above the rainbow, shouldn't it be turned upside down? :lol: :lol: !
:crazy: they are possible although not due to light refraction through raindrops.....quick google shows more to do with ice crystals - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jacob » Wed May 11, 2016 4:26 pm

:crazy: they are possible although not due to light refraction through raindrops.....quick google shows more to do with ice crystals - cheers :)

Ha, see, I'm not completely stupid :lol:
jacob

Postby jupe1407 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Cracking report and pics Jacob. A Mountain very much on my to-do list in the near future :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 11, 2016 9:40 pm

If you do ever see an "upside down rainbow" then it will most likely be a circumzenithal arc: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/cza.htm
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland