walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tyndrum(ish) weekend

Tyndrum(ish) weekend

Postby kmai1961 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:28 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 06/05/2016

Time taken: 18.75 hours

Distance: 37.2 km

Ascent: 3252m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fri, 06 May
Meall Glas, Sgiath Chuil (from Glen Dochart)
8hrs / 994m / 16km

Jimmy’s first 2016 Scotland trip. We’d exchanged a few texts beforehand, negotiating which hills to do that we still have in common. He’d done Meall Glas before, but didn’t mind repeating it; starting from the Glen Dochart side seemed the easiest plan. Good weather all day—I remember sitting at the top of Meall Glas with the sun warm on my face. Waterproofs stayed in the pack all day! We went in a clockwise direction (not by design), as were well past the point where we were meant to stay along the river before we realized; too busy chatting and catching up! The descent between the two hills was fairly brutal, much like the two hills across the way that I’d done the week before. We had great views from both summits—back over Ben More, over to Beinn Heasgarnich/Creag Mhor, even all the way up to Ben Nevis, which is still sporting a LOT of snow. BTW, we didn't take any of the winter kit for this walk.

first summit, Meall Glas

last week's route, Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich

Ben More

maybe the final bum slide of the season? (it was pretty wet...but trousers dry, no? :lol: )

on the steep ascent to Sgiath Chuil, rest time!

One of the things I like most about walking with Jimmy is that he stops and sits occasionally, as well having longish stops at summits (whether or not it’s a bona fide lunch stop) when the weather’s amenable. It just adds an extra bit of enjoyment to the day.

After suffering a casual, and thereby inefficient booking system at By the Way in Tyndrum, and losing the single-occupancy-of-a-double room in the hostel that was my original plan, I’d agreed to take a “camping cabin” for two nights. (I really want to call it a kamping kabin, ala KOA campgrounds, which is undoubtedly trademarked.) It was more or less a garden shed that had been divided into three rooms, with two single beds in each, and not much more. Access to toilets and a shower block about 100m away. Very basic. It would have been fine, except I could hear every noise from the room next door, so I didn’t get much sleep. I might as well have been in a dorm room in the hostel--cheaper, plus in-building facilities and kitchen access.

Sat 07 May
Ben Starav (take 2), Beinn nan Aighenan, Glas Bheinn Mhor
Fewer than 100 left! :clap:
10.75hrs / 2258m / 21.2km

Overall conditions: mixed weather, but more good/settled than bad; enough rain going up Starav to warrant waterproof jackets, which we both left on for most of the day, as much for warmth as anything—the rain didn’t amount to much. Cold gusty wind. We took axes and I had spikes, but we didn’t need any of it; a bit of snow here and there, but either soft and slushy and/or avoidable. Overcast—we didn’t see much sun all day—but good visibility.

We started the day with the very ambitious plan of doing the five hills in this area. It’s been done by others, we got a fairly early start, and felt as though we had a goodly amount of daylight on our side. But I’d forgotten (selectively, I’m sure) how massive a slog it is up Ben Starav—starting, remember, from absolute sea level, to nearly 1100m—and I don’t think Jimmy realized how difficult it was going to be, either. This hill totally kicked my a*se the first time I did it, with Evie and Martin a couple of years ago, and it did the same again. By the time we were about halfway up, I’d already decided that I was fairly unlikely to be able to manage all five, but was reluctant to say anything until we got a bit further along. I was mightily relieved when Jimmy said, “I don’t think we’re gonna make all five today.” So we set our sights on Starav, out to pick up Beinn nan Aighenan, and finishing up with Glas Bheinn Mhor. One of the reasons I was keen to do this route (we’d also discussed doing Buachille Etive Mor) was that it offered many options and escape routes—we weren't forced to make a final decision about hills four and five until we reached the bealach coming down off of GBM. Even coming down after Starav and BnA, via the glen that Evie, Martin, and I had used, was a possibility.

a portion of the Starav ascent

back up the glen...BEM, Bidean prominent

I'm so relieved to reach the top (again)!

we both are!

the way ahead (GBM)...but not 'til after you've knocked off the one that's just out of sight over to the right...

I'd forgotten about these fab pinnacles

I knew from the previous visit that BnA looks deceptively close from the bealach, but that it isn't particularly. We stashed the bulk of our things before beginning the steep ascent. That was a good plan—Jimmy’s suggestion—we still took one rucksack, and shared carrying it, so we did have water, camera, phones, and emergency supplies, but lost the weight of the axes, spikes, and extra clothes and food. It was a steep ascent, a bit of minor scrambling in one or two places, but there is a clear path the entire way. Spent a few minutes at the top, taking photos, then back down to retrieve the left belongings, and back to the bealach (hard work, this was!), where we sat for a few minutes and had (some more) food. Number 182 for me; one hundred left! This seems nearly as important a number/milestone as some of the others—141, 150—the psychological boost of being down to double digits, perhaps. We talked a lot this weekend about compleations—both our own, and all of those we know who are planning it for this year, or soon, and how individual everyone’s attitudes and plans are. Although I have said the “c” word a few times, as relates to me, I maintain that I am not particularly bothered about it. I suppose (hope) that I will eventually manage to visit them all, and although I have been knocking off hills (not only Munros, mind) at a pretty good rate over the last couple of years, but it’s not because I’m putting pressure on myself to get them done; it’s just about having great days out, and being fortunate enough to have Fridays off; I have enough free time (including for recovery, which seems to be playing a bigger role year on year) to head to the hills more often. Long may it continue!

Jimmy modelling ma wee purple rucksack!

I thought Cruachan was the pointy one, but then I noticed Ben Nevis in there, too. Is that possible?

BnA looking rather grand from the ascent to GBM

The ascent of GBM was far less steep than either of the others, but we were both tired, and very glad at this point that we’d decided not to add on the two extra hills. The final few metres to the summit seemed endless! But we finally got there, again having a few minutes for photos, a drink, a bite to eat, and then started the looooooong (and there’s my “o” key stuck again!) walk back.

oops, not quite fast enough

that's better. (nice hair. :roll: )

There was a steepish descent down to the final bealach, but it wasn’t particularly prolonged. And thereafter, there was mostly a good path that descended gently, although it was boggy in places and temporarily disappeared from time to time. It took us a good 2-2½ hours back to the car. My feet hurt badly for the final few kilometres, and it was a huge relief to sink them into trainers.

magnificent ancient Caledonian pine

The sting in the tail—and it was a BIG sting—was arriving at the King’s House only to find that macaroni cheese isn’t currently on their menu. :evil: :-x :cry: It had been the thought of that that had kept me going for the final few hours! I settled on Balmoral chicken instead, which was good, but it certainly weren’t the mac ‘n cheese I’d had my heart set on.

Jimmy’s plans for the following day were the two at the ski centre, Criese and Meall a’Bhuiridh, which I'd done with Rich and his baby engineers as a charity gig for WaterAid a few years back. When I left home on Friday, I thought I’d be happy to do them again, but the two long days, and sleepless night previous had taken their toll, and the thought of my own shower and bed beckoned loudly. So I dropped Jimmy back at his van, made a quick stop to pick up the things I’d left in my kabin, and drove home, arriving just before 11pm. Today, I’m hobbling around and not doing much other than getting ready for more of the same next weekend.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland