walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Duibh and Lochan Beinn Duibh

Beinn Duibh and Lochan Beinn Duibh

Postby Justalittlefurther » Sun May 08, 2016 8:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 08/05/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked: 6km (from leaving track to Lochan Beinn Duibh and back)
Cycled: 25km (from Kinlochard to leaving track and back)

Hopeful of the day ahead, I left Kinlochard relishing the heat but looking nervously across to what should be the lower slopes of Ben Venue. I could not make out much more than the lochside and the houses dabbled along the road behind the sea of ever-thickening cloud.

As I passed Stronmacnair, I found myself in the Highlands. It is this moment that draws me to the base of Scotland's most-southerly Munro. As I left the flattish track to Comer farm and skidded my way up the vertical track that continues to Loch Lomond, it felt like for every leg-wrenching pedal upwards the loose gravel threw me down twice as far. When eventually I reached the gentle sloped stretch of land between Beinn Uamha (anyone know how this is pronounced?) and Beinn Duibh, I abandoned my bike.

The cloud on Beinn Uamha and my distinct lack of experience led my eyes across to Beinn Duibh and its namesake Lochan, so after watching a herd of deer speed across Beinn Uamha and out of sight, I battered through the heather to Beinn Duibh's large collection of possible summits. It was on my fourth attempt that I came across the cairn marking the summit. I was intrigued by a scribble on the map at Lochan Beinn Duibh, which I now know shows the whisky stills at the far end of the Lochan, and stumbled down. All I found - to my great - disappointment, was not a secret bothy, a pool so densely populated with trout they were spilling onto land or even an extensive selection of cakes but some polystyrene.

As I returned in the glorious sunshine, I visited the glistening pools of the Abhainn Gaoithe and found, to my great delight. vaguely warm water. Perhaps a walk up the burn in summer... if the midge aren't too bad...
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
Lochan Beinn Dubh from the summit
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Ben Lomond rising above the cloud
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Justalittlefurther

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Beinn Duibh and Lochan Beinn Duibh

Postby Sgurr » Mon May 09, 2016 9:32 pm

The account of your cycle made me doubly grateful to the friend who e-mailed me that he was working at the pylons by Comer and could give me a run out there the other week.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20607
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland