walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunday, Uchdag, happy days…

Sunday, Uchdag, happy days…

Postby superstar_tradesman » Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Uchdag

Date walked: 08/05/2016

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 720m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hopefully the WalkHighlands servers cope with the flurry of walk reports this weekend—the amazing weather must have seen a huge exodus to the hills :)

My Hills Climbed map of southern Perthshire looks conspicuously full of red dots, despite many family trips to Comrie as a kid. Since I had work to do later, I didn't have time for a long day away, so Creag Uchdag seemed close enough and challenging enough for a nice walk. The sunshine had brought out tractors, cyclists and Sunday drivers, so progress to Glen Lednock (interesting…spellchecker changed it to Glen Redneck :shock: ) was slow, and I couldn't wait to get my boots on and get walking.

The parking area at Coishavachan was pretty full when I got there at 1.30pm, but I guess everyone was off up Ben Chonzie, as I didn't see a soul on Uchdag all day…

2016-05-08 13.35.19.jpg
NCP Coishavachan!

I made pretty good progress along the road up to the Lednock dam. I vaguely recall coming here for a picnic as a wee lad, back when it was possible to drive to the dam. Sput Rolla was clearly having a day off…

2016-05-08 13.51.37.jpg
Sput Rolla isn't spouting

2016-05-08 13.55.22.jpg
The Lednock Dam with a first brief glimpse of Creag Uchdag

2016-05-08 14.02.54.jpg
Tranquil Lednock Reservoir

Sticking to the outward WH route, I followed the track as it climbed steeply away from the dam, with good views of the reservoir and the hills behind, including, briefly, today's target. I followed the left fork of the track across a burn at about 580m, and the track seemed to continue up the hill, albeit much fainter than lower down. So I stuck to the track as it continued to climb, more gently, then eased off and even began to descend slightly. The going was good, with just a couple of boggy patches to jump across.

I knew I needed to abandon the track at some point to reach the upper slopes of Meall Dubh Mòr, so found a way through the peat hags without getting stuck. I took a rising traverse over the SW flank of the hill, and soon the summit of Creag Uchdag appeared again.

2016-05-08 15.01.27.jpg
Creag Uchdag's upper slopes finally reveal themselves again

Then I joined a faint path for the final pull up over a knoll and then to the summit, with its trig point in splendid isolation. There was a warm southerly breeze, so unusually I had to wander north for a short bit to get some shelter, not that it was cold enough to worry about putting another layer on :)

2016-05-08 15.18.15.jpg
Ben Lawers and family from the top of Creag Uchdag

2016-05-08 15.21.19.jpg
The summit trig with Ben Chonzie (and all the people?) beyond

2016-05-08 15.21.23.jpg
Landslip SW of the summit, looking back towards the dam

I hung around to enjoy the views, though the haze to the west took a while to clear, making picking out Vorlich, Ben More and Stob Binnein surprisingly tricky.

2016-05-08 15.55.59.jpg
SW over the reservoir towards Ben Vorlich

Heading back, I'd thought about a circuit of the reservoir, picking up the path from Ardeonaig and then onto the track down the SW shore, but the peat hags I'd need to negotiate directly below me looked complex enough that I soon changed my mind. So instead I returned the way I came, with a slight diversion over the top of Meall Dubh Mòr.

2016-05-08 16.24.02.jpg
A last look back up the reservoir

I was back at the car in just over three hours, thankful I'd brought plenty of water, shades and sun cream(!). After far too many rainy trips to Comrie in the past, I look forward to heading back for more west Perthshire Corbetts. The weather standard has been set seriously high :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland