walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East Ridge Nethermost Pike +

East Ridge Nethermost Pike +

Postby Broggy1 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arnison Crag, Birks, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 09/05/2016

Time taken: 4.45

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1700m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Brilliant weather for a day off and a trip to the Lakes with wall to wall sunshine and gin clear skies....if pretty windy in parts.

I've recently been revisiting some Lakeland Fells and trying different routes than I have previously done and in turn have been having some cracking days so thought I'd share this one.

This route up via Nethermost Cove and the East Ridge is a splendid way on to the Helvellyn range but probably not likely to register to those who have yet to do Striding Edge and Swirral Edge etc.

1 Grisedale.JPG
Heading in to Grisedale - both Dollywaggon and Nethermost Pike look much different when approached directly from this valley.

2 Nethermost.JPG
Nethermost Pike with the East Ridge in view

3 Eagle Crag.JPG
Eagle Crag ahead. I ascended to the right of this up steep, pathless slopes and then a semi scramble up a gully. Hard work and I believe a better route is to stay either on the other side of Nethermostcove Beck (where there is a path I hear) or via Ruthwaite Cove and Hard Tarn.

4 East Ridge.JPG
The East Ridge proper is in view now

5 Final tower East Ridge.JPG
Final tower on the East Ridge. I picked up a decent path here so imagine there is one all the way on one of the two routes I mentioned earlier.

6 Hard Tarn and D Pike.JPG
Hard Tarn and Dollywaggon Pike - perhaps a better option to gain this ridge?

7 Narrow bit East Ridge.JPG
The ridge narrows at the top and does - briefly - resemble Striding Edge although unlike the more famous ridge (which was busy even on a Monday) there was nobody on this one.

8 H from Nethermost.JPG
Helvellyn from Nethermost Pike. I wasn't planning on going there today but it's such an easy wander from here it seemed silly not to.

9 Striding.JPG
Helvellyn Summit

10 Lakeland.JPG
Lakeland

11 St Sunday from D Pike.JPG
St Sunday Crag from Dollywaggon Pike

12 Grisedale Tarn and Fairfield.JPG
Grisedale Tarn and my ascent route up Fairfeld in view.

13 Seat Sandal.JPG
Seat Sandal over the tarn

14 St Sunday from Fairfield.JPG
St Sunday Crag from Fairfield. It's a tough regain of height from Grisedale Tarn to do the high level return but certainly worth it (although the low level return through Grisedale is of course great as well).

15 Cofa Pike.JPG
Looking back at Cofa Pike

16 Helvellyn from ST Sunday.JPG
Helvellyn range from St Sunday Crag. It was really windy up here now.

17 Birks summit to Place Fell.JPG
Birks summit with Place Fell ahead

18 Ullswater from Arnison Crag.JPG
Ullswater from Arnison Crag

19 Beer Garden.JPG
This route throws you out literally in a beer garden. So on a day like today it would have been really rude not to.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: East Ridge Nethermost Pike +

Postby simon-b » Wed May 11, 2016 8:31 pm

An excellent route, Broggy. Nethermost Pike's east ridge is a great way up. I don't think there's much wrong with your initial approach - like you say, there are alternatives like Hard Tarn. But it's probably hard work whichever way you choose, although well worth it when you reach the ridge. And that feeling of success comes just as soon as you leave the arete and emerge on Nethermost's summit plateau!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: East Ridge Nethermost Pike +

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 12, 2016 5:35 am

There's some graft in that route Broggy, good effort mate :clap: Some beautiful shots throughout and better still you're not surrounded by folks either :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland