walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag August 2015

Quinag August 2015

Postby Walk cycle » Wed May 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 19/08/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yes, I know it is now May 2016 and i have only just 'finished' my report. It was a great day, and with such amazing views; it seems a shame not to share the images. Hope you enjoy the photographs of what was a superb day.

The conditions the day after Arkle couldn’t have been more different. The walk to Sandwood Bay was meant to be a rest day but it might have been better to stay near Lairg and give my heels a break. The problem is, it had taken so much preparation to get to Scotland I couldn’t possibly just sit and admire the view from the tent.

18.jpg
Monday evening at the campsite after my return from Arkle

So Sandwood Bay it was and the visibility was poor. I had a sandwich at the new cafe shed by the carpark. Last time I was here on the bike the car park was almost empty and now there was a snack bar, toilets and lots and lots of cars. Sandwood Bay had become a Sutherland must see, partly promoted by broadsheet travel reports. I reached the misty bay, had a snack and quickly returned to the car.

1.jpg
Sandwood Bay

Wednesday came and I was unsure what hill to tackle. My right heel looked like raw bacon and needed rest. Ben More Assynt and Foinaven were clearly out of the question. Instead I chose Quinag. Having lost my guide book I relied upon previous WH reports from my phone and set off.

map.jpg
From Highland Landforms - Robert J Price 1976 Highlands and Islands Development Board

I would ascend Spidean Coinich and then decide if I was to go any further on this complex mountain. It turned out that the day gave Arkle a run for its money.

The day was beautiful. Drove the A837 and the iconic Assynt mountains begin to peek out the closer I got to Ledmore. Suilven was clear – should I do that again? Ben More Assynt's summit was in cloud. Quinag stood out perfectly visible from the window as I passed Ardvreck Castle. I was thrilled by the weather conditions. Assynt, in this weather,was out of this world. Assynt has to be the most epic, other- worldly landscape that I have encountered.

2.jpg
Quinag from the car park

I parked up and chatted to a couple who I would meet periodically during the day. They walked ahead as I packed my rucksack and then I crossed the A894 to the start of the very clear path.

ImageQuinag path

I had spotted a RAF jet very high above me on arrival. However the advancing jet from the north took me by surprise. It was so low I could clearly see the undercarriage. The noise was thunderous. I was suddenly on a low level flight path. I have never seen a plane so low.

ImageCairn marks the approach to Spidean Coinich

I ascended Spidean Coinich from where the path split. The climb was gradual and I enjoyed walking on the boulder fields. My progress was slow but the landscape began to open up to the south as I ascended.

5.jpg
Steady climb to Spidean Coinich

4.jpg
Loch Assynt just visible

6.jpg
North to Loch a' Chairn Bhain

7.jpg
Beinn Gharb, Canisp and Cul Mor

8.jpg
Loch Assynt

I thoroughly enjoyed this ascent as the views slowly expanded. You don't have to go too far if you want spectacular panoramas on Quinag.

10.jpg
Canisp, Cul Mor and Suilven

11.jpg
Outer Hebrides just visible

12.jpg
Sail Gharbh from the approach to Spidean Coinich

13.jpg
Suilven (clearer than last year!)

14.jpg
Loch Assynt

15.jpg
Waterworld

16.jpg
Looking down to the A837 and Loch Assynt trees

19.jpg
Outer Hebrides

20.jpg
Sail Gharbh

22.jpg
Suilven

Had lunch on the top of this first Corbett. I dropped down to Lohan Ruadh and then ascended the 714m peak. There is a clear path and its descent was one of the highlights of the day it required care but with such good conditions was a joy.

17.jpg
From Spidean Coinich - one of my favourite images from the day

23.jpg
Lochan Bealach Cornaidh

24.jpg
Stone and sea

25.jpg
Stunning Assynt

ImageTowards Ben More Assynt and Conival

ImageGlas Bheinn

ImageTumore Lodge visible on Loch Assynt

ImageLots of lochans

ImageCloud over Sail Gharbh

ImageCairn

ImageSpidean Coinich cliff

ImageNorth to Sutherland

ImageUp

ImageDown

ImageLoch an Leothaid

ImagePath to Sail Gharbh

Arkle from Bealach a Chornaidh

ImageSuilven from Bealach a Chornaidh

Looking back up at this descent gives the impression of a very precipitous route but it was straightforward enough in these conditions.
ImageFace in the sky

ImageView from Sail Gharbh path

ImageLike smoke from a chimney

ImageShadows of Spidean Coinich

I decided to leave Sail Ghorm with my feet increasingly sore and concentrate on Sail Gharb. Two men were working hard on making a new section of the path. I will have to let the images and captions do the rest of the work in this report. How do you write your reports - do you make notes on the way/ write them immediately on return?

ImageFlattening out before the final climb to summit

Image Summit view

Image Coast

ImageSail Ghorm and the view north

ImageSail Gharbh trig point with apple core (not mine)

ImageArkle and Foinaven

ImageSouth from the summit

Image Loch a' Chairn Bhain

ImageEddrachillis Bay

ImageCairn and trig point

ImageCanisp

ImageKylesku bridge

ImageSummit view

ImageHarris hills

Ben Stack, Ankle and Foinavon

ImageEpic Assynt

ImageThe return path

Glas Bheinn

ImageBoulders

ImageNorth from the return path
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Quinag August 2015

Postby Avocetboy » Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am

Thoroughly enjoyed that report. We did the exact same two days previous in similar conditions and on Your day were sunning on the beach at Sandwood. Like the picture of the "down" path to the bealach off Spidean. Took me a bit by surprise as to how steep it was, but, as you say, posed no difficulties in good weather. We're back up there again in August and I need to return to Quinag to complete Sail Gorm
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby colgregg » Fri May 13, 2016 4:26 pm

There is a great posing platform between Gorm and Garbh, Perfect for a "wow look at me" pic.
ul (151) (1024x768).jpg
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Walk cycle » Sat May 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Avocetboy wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed that report. We did the exact same two days previous in similar conditions and on Your day were sunning on the beach at Sandwood. Like the picture of the "down" path to the bealach off Spidean. Took me a bit by surprise as to how steep it was, but, as you say, posed no difficulties in good weather. We're back up there again in August and I need to return to Quinag to complete Sail Gorm

Thanks - we did seem to cover very similar ground. I'm now writing my Ben Stack report!
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland