walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Dothaidh

Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby StevieC » Fri May 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh

Date walked: 11/05/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 1057m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn an Dothaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd already done Beinn Dorain many years ago, but had knackered by ankle on the descent so had omitted Beinn an Dothaidh. So when looking for a quickie that I hadn't done before to take advantage of the cracking weather, this was the natural choice.

From the car park next to the Bridge of Orchy hotel, cross the road and head for the railway station. Pass under the railway line and you are confronted with a big radio mast - follow the path that goes round this to the left and than just follow the path straight up hill towards the bealach between the two hills. Well I say path...it's really a several metre wide, rubble filled scar on the hillside, but it's fairly easy going and not too steep.

Head for the low point on the horizon

Train arriving at Bridge of Orchy station

There's not a lot to say about the trudge up to the bealach. It's mostly a steady climb with a couple of steep bits near the end. The cliffs of Beinn and Dothaidh start to appear on your left, and are very impressive, but it is a relief when you reach the huge cairn that marks decision time for those doing both hills. I was only doing one, so there was no decision to be made,..it was off to the left for me.

The path that leads up to Beinn an Dothaidh is initially quite steep, but it is in much better condition than the scree-filled trough that has led you this far. After a short while the steepness eases off and the path peters out...at least it did for me! There are basically three high points, each marked with a cairn, and the actual summit is the middle one. However it is worth visiting all three and doesn't add much time to the walk.

Beinn Dorain with Ben Lui behind

I headed for the obvious east summit first, which gave great views of Beinn Dorain, and a feeling of being on the edge of the mountain.

East summit cairn, looking towards the "true" summit

Beinn Dorain from the east summit of Beinn an Dothaidh

From here it is ten minute stroll over to the actual summit of Beinn an Dothaidh...

Summit cairn of Beinn an Dothaidh, looking towards the west summit

...and from here it is another ten minute stroll to the west summit, and the best views of the day.

West summit cairn, looking over Loch Tulla

Looking across to Ben Lui from west summit of Beinn an Dothaidh

All the way up I was behind a couple of walkers, who had headed straight for the "real" summit, turned round and headed straight back down again, obviously heading for Beinn Dorain. Each to their own, but it seems such a shame to miss out on all that this hill has to offer. Also, in the stiff easterly wind, the west summit provided a perfect spot for a bite of lunch looking over Loch Tulla.

Suitably refreshed, the best means of descent is straight down the south ridge on easy slopes until you rejoin the path just above the bealach. From there it was back on to the rubble-strewn highway and back to Bridge of Orchy.

So in summary, it's not a very inspiring walk into the heart of the mountain, but it's relatively easy going, and the rewards once you are up there are well worth it.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland