walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach and the Pap of Glencoe

Aonach Eagach and the Pap of Glencoe

Postby rich_e » Fri May 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 08/05/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1250m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After many years of visiting this great website I decided today it was about time I signed up and started to contribute. Last weekend we were lucky enough to spend a few nights with friends in a cottage at Bridge of Orchy and the undoubted highlight was finally tackling Aonach Eagach!

On Saturday we walked via the Three Sisters to the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan but were forced to retrace our steps rather than tackle Bidean nam Bian due to pretty hazardous snow conditions. The main positive we took from the day was the fact that Aonach Eagach appeared snow free and the forecast for the coming days was good.

Waking up to a bright Sunday morning we dropped a car at the base of the Pap of Glencoe and started off up Am Bodach at 10am from the small layby a couple of hundred metres above the large viewing car park. The views down the valley on the ascent of Am Bodach are impressive but I’ll admit to having a few doubts at this stage with a very stiff breeze and after seeing some fleeting glimpses of snow on the ridge when dropping the car off earlier. We could always just take a look and save it for another day....

DSC05810.JPG

Upon reaching the summit of Am Bodach the views are brilliant but the eye is inevitably drawn to the spectacular view down the ridge.

DSC05827.JPG

DSC05831.JPG

For me, the nerves were building as we took the narrow path to the start of the initial down-climb but thankfully the wind had died down and the rock was dry and grippy. As you descend it’s difficult to ignore the seemingly endless void below but, if you’ve a head for heights, it’s a relatively straightforward scramble down on to the ridge itself and a relief to finally be on your way!

DSC05842.JPG
Looking back at a group descending off Am Bodach

The walk along the ridge to Meall Dearg is narrow in parts but there’s a good path throughout and the views in all directions are simply stunning.

DSC05844.JPG

We had to scramble off path a few times to avoid some remaining snow patches but nothing too difficult. The views from the summit of Meall Dearg were incredible but I couldn’t to take my eyes off what was to come…

DSC05873.JPG
Tricky terrain ahead!

My memory of the next section of the ridge is somewhat blurred but I do recall some very narrow sections and the trickiest scrambling of the day!

DSC05889.JPG

DSC05890.JPG

DSC05891.JPG

DSC05901.JPG

DSC05910.JPG
All smiles on one of the narrow sections!

I’d read plenty of advice about sticking to the ridge proper (and not attempting to skirt around on paths to the side) but when faced with what appeared to be an impossible obstacle we took a path around to the right... This was undoubtedly the most nerve wracking part of the day with an awkward and steep climb down a narrow and loose gulley (with a shockingly large drop below) before climbing back up to the ridge proper. At this point I was promising myself I’d never come back!

DSC05924.JPG
Looking back towards the final tricky descent

Once you’ve descended off the last of the pinnacles the path over to Sgorr nam Fiannaidh, via Stob Coire Leith, is simple enough and an opportunity to take in the views.

DSC05927.JPG
Easier ground ahead

DSC05944.JPG

DSC05951.JPG
Looking back down the ridge

DSC05968.JPG
Looking back from the summit of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh

DSC05976.JPG
View ahead from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh with the Pap of Glencoe on the right

With a few tired legs there was some debate about the merits of doing the Pap but all eventually agreed it was a shame to miss out given we had plenty of time and it had turned into a glorious day. The descent is slightly awkward over loose scree and is largely pathless and at one point I very nearly placed a boot on the very well camouflaged creature below!

DSC05982.JPG

The scramble up the Pap was very rewarding and the views again were amazing.

DSC05985.JPG

DSC05999.JPG

DSC06002.JPG

After some well-earned chocolate and 10 minutes taking in the views it was time to head down for a much needed drink at the Clachaig Inn.

DSC06017.JPG
Looking back at the Pap fo Glencoe

What a day - Aonach Eagach certainly didn’t disappoint! I'd read enough to know what to expect but it's probably near the limit of what I’m comfortable with and, quite frankly, the prospect of being up there in poor conditions is pretty terrifying. Nevertheless, it's an amazing walk in an amazing place and whilst descending the Pap I was already wanting to go again!
rich_e
Munro compleatist

Munros:55   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:166   Islands:3

Re: Aonach Eagach and the Pap of Glencoe

Postby jacob » Sun May 15, 2016 9:48 am

Some great pictures in between 'em. Nice one. :clap:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Aonach Eagach and the Pap of Glencoe

Postby rich_e » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks Jacob, the views up there really are amazing, the pictures don't do it justice!
rich_e
Munro compleatist

Munros:55   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:166   Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland