walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Sgriodain Chno Dearg Staoineag Bothy

Stob Coire Sgriodain Chno Dearg Staoineag Bothy

Postby flipside » Sat May 14, 2016 9:15 am

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 12/05/2016

Time taken: 9.03 hours

Distance: 24.1 km

Ascent: 1302m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2016-05-12 182020.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day one of Fersit circuit started later than expected at 9.30 am. Long drive up but chose to go via the A9. No path as such up Stob Coire Sgriodain just followed the burn. The weather was scorching and I was up drinking loads if water and hydration tabs. Changed into shorts , t shirt and sunnies. I was in shock at how warm it was and was struggling due to the heat and overnight kit carried. I was supposed to continue onto Ben Na Lap but at 15.30hrs I made the call to head for Staoineag Bothy. I found a cracking antler in the Glen below Ben Na Lap. It started to rain as I approached the end of Loch Treig and I took shelter at the new power station. The track to the Lodge was very good and time was made up well. I took the right of way track to Fort William and hoped the standing stones would be useable which it turns out they were. Cracking we Bothy two rooms and a large sleeping loft. Resident mouse tried his hardest to steal food but my kit was up high. Robin from Hamilton and Greg from East Kilbride proved to be excellent company with whisky and stories shared. Trip lesson no 1: check you are carrying the right gas canister as you won't be getting tea in the morning grrrrr. Trip lesson number two: Carry extra food due to calories burnt in excess heat
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland