walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo

Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 15, 2016 9:53 am

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 14/05/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After walking Beinn Dubhchriag and Ben Oss last week my aim was to find something a bit longer to increase fitness and stamina as I have plans for some longer walks later in the year. Beinn a'Ghlo seemed a good choice and with the forecast looking good I headed off early and got to Loch Moraig for just after 7am. Beautiful day but is was very cold and breezy at the top - especially on Carn nan Gabhar as its very rocky and exposed.

Carn Liath in the early morning sun

View South West from the slopes Carn Liath

View from the Carn Liath Cairn across to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar

Ridge north to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

I disturbed some red deer as I was dropping down from Carn Liath.

View back across the fantastic ridge to Can Liath.

View from Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain cairn to Carn nan Gabhar

View back up to Carn nan Gabhar

Carn nan Gabhar cairn back to trig point.

My feet were getting sore so I decided to just drop down at the bealach rather than go over Airgiod Bhienn as the drop from there is very steep. View back to Carn Liath from Allt Bealach an Fhiodha

Airgiod Bheinn on walk out.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland