walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mayar and Driesh. In the footsteps of Gammylegwalker.

Mayar and Driesh. In the footsteps of Gammylegwalker.

Postby nathan79 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 25/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first Munro outing since doing Beinn a Bheithir in mid June. These two are a short enough distance from me at about 60miles, and prior to this i'd never been up anything further east than Schiehallion. Additionally, back at uni, one of my field trips had taken us up and around Loch Brandy, i think it was to do with alppine habitats, and i'd vowed to return to Glen Clova one day.

I had intentions of an early start, but arrived at the almost full car park about 11:45. I'd passed some climbers tackling a rock face en route between the Clova hotel and the Glen Doll car park, making the most of nice dry rocks.
Set off after a cup of coffee, a roll and some chocolate.

I took a wrong turn soon in, turning left over a wee bridge when i should've kept on straight, but i can't complain, minutes into my walk i was greeted with the sight of a roe deer crossing the path before me and chowing down on some leafy treats.
DSCF2258.JPG

After it hopped away into some thicker forest, i turned back and got on track. Seemed like a long long slog up to Corrie fee. Didn't pass too many people en route. Was harrassed by flies the whole way, possibly loving the egg mayo rolls in my rucksack.

Eventually reached Corrie Fee, and what a sight it is to be greeted by. Simply beautiful i hope my pic catches even some of it's majesty.
Corrie Fee pano bright.jpg

Didn't stop to take in the view for long, pressed on across the floor of the corrie, meeting a few walkers on their way down, having done the reverse route. Some cracking flora to be seen. Some of which i've still to identify.
DSCF2285.JPG

Scottish bluebells/harebells call them what you will.
DSCF2294.JPG

The waterfall was looking good as i made my way up the path to the top. Stopped for a coffee and a few pics by it.
DSCF2304.JPG

DSCF2313.JPG

Took another panorama from the far end of the corrie.
Corrie Fee pano 2.jpg

I also came across this fine specimen of beetle on the path, sadly besieged by mites.
DSCF2311.JPG

Having said goodbye to the waterfall, i was becoming somewhat disgruntled, waiting for the summit of Mayer to appear before me. Willpower triumphed over hunger and low blood sugar, and i reached the summit at last.
I don't usually hang around summits, but this time i sat down, boots off, food out to relax for a bit and take in the view. I sat there wondering what the object was on the hill i could SSW of Mayar, thanks to this blessed site i know it was the telecomm mast on Mount Blair. Annoyingly i also came across a banana skin and some eclair wrappers tucked in a little nook behind where i was sitting. Stuck them in my rubbish bag to take off the hill.
Almost forgot to take a pic of the cairn.
DSCF2321.JPG

That was the worst of it out of the way for me, boots on, rubbish packed, i set off for Driesh. There was some low cloud to the north, but it wasn't tehre long and it wasn't threatening to come anywhere near me.
Ditched my back n some rocks to make the ascent to Driesh with a lighter load.

Reached the Driesh cairn in no time.
DSCF2333.JPG

Headed back down the path on the Shank of Drumfellow. After a thouroughly enjoyable days walking. I'd happily do this walk again the other way round. It would be nice to descend into Corrie Fee on the way down and relax there for a while.

Munros number 8 and 9 bagged, i enjoyed a final coffee and bite to eat before the drive back to Glenrothes. There were a few spots of rain minutes after i settled down in my car, so i had timed it just right.

I wonder which peak awaits me for Munro number 10?
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Mayar and Driesh. In the footsteps of Gammylegwalker.

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Nice report and pics their nathan79,like the heading for this walk :lol: :lol: corrie fee is truly spectacular no what you mean once up the corrie,onto the ridge was a wee bit of a slog to the cairn
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland