walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 days in Mull

3 days in Mull

Postby Benaden887 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Talaidh, Sgùrr Dearg

Date walked: 11/05/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1370m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My third trip to Mull and yet to see bad weather, but it`s never been as hot as this.
Wed. - Oban to Craignure ferry. Arr, 0805 but by not having booked online - put on standby. I miss the first two boats, finally make the 1050 crossing. Drive the A849, reach a wooded Glen Forsa - park @ nm642349 for the graham pair of Beinn Talaidh and Sgurr Dearg. I gear up. The heat is oppressive, 23c. Head N up the forest track then atv trail W to a deer fence stile@ nm636330. The direct route is short with a steep 300m start. The only way is up, I hum to myself - crunch over dead bracken, bleached tough grass and climb out the bowl. Here the going is easier. Onto a small crest and follow this ever upwards until a pause for breath. There is a walker below me, feeling the same pain I am, there`s comfort in that. Higher now on a broad curving ridge that leads to Talaidh`s round trig point and cairn. Windy too, moves me around, but cools the body - windproof on, I eat lunch.. Previously classed as a Corbett, this hill was demoted the week before I came to do the three of Talaidh and Dearg so only Ghaoithe was climbed. Strange how things work out. Views - Ben More and the hills I`ve still to do- forestry and sea lochs in clear cloudless skies. The other walker, female comes into view - a brief chat - she is content with doing this hill. Had I more time or been faster, a visit to the site of a RAF DC47 that in 1945, crashed here with 8 men on board. Amazingly only 3 were killed. I depart for Beinn Dearg and plan my route below - plenty of tracks - ways thro a forest which fills the Forsa basin- down steep scree to grass and enter the trees. Deep water gouges in the soil show the amount of onetime rain that had been here. For now, the ground cracks and sinks under my weight as I pass stone remains of the Sheilings that abound here. Trees, sitka spruce - wide deep burn with little water, more trees cross a fence for a 320m climb. Now 29.6c- follow a dry rocky burn uphill, I rest in the heat - so come back another day ? then recall lines from Good morning Vietnam - Whats the weather like there Rosevelt ? - Its hot, dam hot, real hot, hot as my shorts, I could cook things in it - brings a smile to my face - I`m wearing shorts - so the bagger in me wins agin and with every 100 steps I gain more height, climb a steeper section, gain the lip and a easy walk leads to the cairn with the backdrop of Dun da Ghaoithe saying hello to me.
Windy still, I head downhill clip the forest edge to road, car then Craignure BH for some R&R
Seen enroute Eagles, deer, sheep, hares, many small birds, frogs, lizards and folk. No flies or midges but plenty of ticks
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: 3 days in Mull

Postby Andymac75 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 pm

Cool.

I climbed Beinn Talaidh on Friday before work .wanted to give my thighs a good work out.
I too started from the A849 (Ishriff) side.I usually just cross the fence where the metal gate is.but used the stile for the first time after the descent.loads of mice and shrews scurrying on the trail on the way back down to the road.

I like the pain :shock: of scaling that first shoulder ,and the reward of reaching that beautiful long ridge to the summit is worth it.

Apart from seeing the usual Eagle hovering half way up and some sheep ,I seen no other life.

On the subject of the crashed Dakota,I have the door off it in my shed .still green and with the Roundell colours still fresh.
Andymac75

Re: 3 days in Mull

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:57 am

Andymac75 wrote:Cool.

I climbed Beinn Talaidh on Friday before work .wanted to give my thighs a good work out.
I too started from the A849 (Ishriff) side.I usually just cross the fence where the metal gate is.but used the stile for the first time after the descent.loads of mice and shrews scurrying on the trail on the way back down to the road.

I like the pain :shock: of scaling that first shoulder ,and the reward of reaching that beautiful long ridge to the summit is worth it.

Apart from seeing the usual Eagle hovering half way up and some sheep ,I seen no other life.

On the subject of the crashed Dakota,I have the door off it in my shed .still green and with the Roundell colours still fresh.

Being as it`s not classed as a war grave, I shoulda taken the time for a looksee
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland