walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on solo munro down Glen Etive - Beinn Nan Aighenan

Sunshine on solo munro down Glen Etive - Beinn Nan Aighenan

Postby jwramsay » Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 pm

Route description: Beinn nan Aighenan, Glen Etive

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan

Date walked: 15/05/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1320m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 15th May 2016 was a much better day that the weather forecast had predicted - it was sunny from dawn until 6pm for us!

Peter and I were unsure of where we were heading but I picked Peter up in Glasgow at 7am and we headed up the A82 past Loch Lomond. At Crianlarich we took a jump to the left and then at Tyndrum a step to the right ... LOL

We stopped off at Ben Dorain, Loch Tulla, Rannoch Moor, Glencoe Ski Centre, Kingshouse Hotel and disappeared down Glen Etive. Campers everywhere due to the excellent weather, both tent and RV.

We had thought of getting a the pair of Stob Coir an Albannaich and Meall nan Eun, but as it was 11am before we parked up near Coiletir [all the best spaces were occupied!] we both decided that we would do the easy(!) outlier Beinn nan Aighenan with ascent of 1320m depsite being only 3150 feet (960m) high. It's a sea level start so that is the equivalent of Ben Nevis with a 16km return hike to boot. [we were back at the car for 8:30pm, so good choice!]

First obstacle of the day ... The RIver Etive. There is 1 bridge across it down here so it was a 1/2 mile to the left and then a 1/2 mile through bog to the right to join the path up the hill. The river is lovely, lots of excellnt carving by the water and stones and some real good waterfalls, including the Robber's Waterfall which drops in bits and bobs all of the way from the summit of subtop Glas Bheinn Chaol. There are dodgy drops possible into the gorge from the low road up the glen, but we avoided these on the return by taking the high road!

When the gorge and river finish the going gets tougher right up to the beallach between Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor and Beinn Nan Aighenan. Let me state this that this point would be ideal for a wild camp. Go up Starav, setup tent, out to Beinn Nan Aighenan, and relax. Next Day Gals Bheinn Mhor and if good weather Stob Coire an Albannaich and Meal nan Eun and back to the car, was where we parked is the starting/finishing point for any/all of these 5 Glen Etive Hills. [Its going to take me 3 visits now to bag these 5!]

The drop from the beallach is 150m [500 feet], down to around 2000 feet. Then its 1100 feet up, but a delightful 1100 feet with unexposed hands on scambling and very firm rock to the summit of Beinn Nan Aighenan.

Great all round views down to Loch Etive and Ben Cruchan, as far as Ben Nevis, south to Ben Lui and S//W to Ben More and Stobinnean. Just check my video, shot in 4K from my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000E bridge camera.

The descent was superb too and the re-ascent none too taxing. You then lose a lot of height quickly on the scree path when it soon becomes a motorway back to the river etive.

This time we decided to body swerve the bridge over River Etive and give our boots and knees(!) a wash with a more direct route to the car. What a great day. 11:30 and I was home and in my bed! Knackered!!

Wild red-deer by the roadside of Glen Etive:

Looking towards the end of the Glen Etive and Ben Starav is looking 3700 feet large:

Looking back up Glen Etive to Buachaille Etive Mor and Buachaille Etive Beag:

Closer inspection of that U-Shaped valley:

Peter Adams on the path to the bridge over the River Etive:

Our munro for the day Beinn Nan Aighenenan is behind these two - Ben Starav (right) and Glas Beinn Mhor (Left):

Glas Beinn Mhor is a lovely rounded top from both the front and the back:

Buachaille Etive Beag framed by a stunning tree:

The view back up Glen Etive from the Bridge over the River Etive near the Coiletir cottages:

This pool looked just sublime:

Another waterfall, this time around its got a name - The Robber's Waterfall:

We took "the low path" up and it skirts close to the gorge (other paths are available ... LOL):

View back from the beallach showing Bidean Nam Bian (centre) and Sgor Na u-laidh (left):

The gorge has vertical deep sides at the end:

View up to Ben Starav from the beallach:

Descending the 150m from the beallach we get this view of Glas Beinn Mhor:

View to Ben Cruachan and Loch Etive from the summit cairn of Beinn Nan Alighenan:

Ben Lui is still holding a lot of snow in that northern Corrie:

View back to Ben Starav and Glas Beinn Mhor:
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Sunshine on solo munro down Glen Etive - Beinn Nan Aighe

Postby jamesb63 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Really nice report Jim and some of your pics are fantastic :clap: :clap:
Glen Etive is a great part of the country and Starav looks just something else
when you get the weather like you did here
I notice your friend in a t-shirt ,I was here( http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62682)
on the Saturday and it was freezing :lol: :lol:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jacob » Wed May 18, 2016 8:09 am

True, fantastic pics. I'm impressed. :clap:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Alteknacker » Wed May 18, 2016 12:21 pm

This is a hill I have reason to dislike, having missed it on the map when planning a route around the munros in this area. It is now a red arrow in the middle of blue!

But I will get there one day.

And the excellent pics from your foray are a good contribution to the encouragement I will need to wind myself up to do it....

(PS the views from the top look really immense - Lui, Cruachan....)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland