walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A question of etiquette on Quinag?

A question of etiquette on Quinag?

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 30/04/2016

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When a dozen of us booked to stay three nights at the Lochinver Bunkhouse we were hoping for normal May Weekend weather and to be honest, if I'd not paid up front, the uninspring forecast might have tempted me to pull out. But I'm glad I didn't.

Various ideas were batted around the night before. It was a toss up between Quinag, Canisp and Braebag with a low level option of a visit to the Old Man of Stoer. I fancied Quinag but by the time we headed for our bunks no firm decisions had been made. In the morning Rob, Mary and I were first up and raring to go and I felt the slight frustration of not having the use of my own car and having to wait to see what the car drivers were doing. Five were doing Canisp, two were going to the Point of Stoer but there was still the logistical problem of three of us without a car getting to the start for Quinag (and more to the point returning after it). Then Martin and Grace appeared from their B & B (after a delay searching for Grace's lost specs) and to our delight they were keen to climb at least Spidean Coinich of Quinag - and then we would see.

So it wasn't a particularly early start from the parking area on the east side of the A894, which is a little beyond the turn off from the A837 north to Kylesku.

Spidean Coinich from road (zoomed)
IMG_0037-large.JPG

The path is excellent, much work having been done by the John Muir Trust which owns the mountain and is keen to restore a healthy population of deer to allow plant life to recover. The path leads quickly to a large cairn marking a fork, with the left turn heading towards the broad east ridge of Spidean Coinich.

Fork in path
IMG_0042-large.JPG

A closer look at our initial target - Spidean Coinich
IMG_0045-large.JPG

Taking in the views to the north
IMG_0046l-large.JPG

IMG_0047-large.JPG

Zoomed to the north
IMG_0048-large.JPG

A level area of slabs gives easy going, although they may need more care when wet, and from this wide pavement we got our first views of Loch Assynt.

South east to Loch Assynt
IMG_0050-large.JPG

View down into the bealach and Lochan Bealach Cornaidh
IMG_0051-large.JPG

Zoomed north to a rare patch of sun
IMG_0053l-large.JPG

Our summit now looking close
IMG_0055-large.JPG

This bouldery section was more challenging for Mary with her recovering broken ankle
IMG_0056l-large.JPG

Spidean Coinich means the mossy peak but I don't think I saw any moss on it at all. Higher up there was snow lying among the rocks but very little green that I noticed. It was a mostly monochrome mountain on the day we climbed it.

IMG_0057-large.JPG

At 620m there is a short descent down a rocky band to a lower point in the ridge before the climb resumes up to the summit. While having a coffee break earlier we had been overtaken by a group of twenty mainly younger folk, some from a hill walking club and some of their friends and when we reached the rocky band they had stopped for their own break and were sitting on either side of the path as it dropped down through a cleft in the rock. It felt rude to walk right through them so we looked for another way down but the path followed a natural line and considering Mary's ankle it seemed daft not to go the easiest way so we just had to barge our way through them. I understand they had stopped there because it gave some shelter from the wind but I think if I'd been the leader of that group I might have suggested it wasn't the best idea to sit on either side of a narrow path making it awkward for other walkers.

Lochan at the dip in the ridge
IMG_0074-large.JPG

Return of winter
IMG_0075l-large.JPG

Loch Assynt
IMG_0058-large.JPG

The path up to the summit was steep with snowy patches and I suspect we wandered off it to the right a bit, going over a bouldery area we avoided on the way down and which made life a bit more challenging for Mary. So by the time we reached the top the group was already there, occupying the higher of the two cairns. They of course had every right to do so (and some we spoke to were very pleasant) but after the effort of getting to a summit I have to admit to a sense of anticlimax if I have to share it with too many other people - especially a group as large as they were.

Suilven looking dark and forbidding
IMG_0059l-large.JPG

View west from Spidean Coinich summit
IMG_0062l-large.JPG

View west out to sea and zoomed to Stoer Point
IMG_0063l-large.JPG

The group of twenty asked if one of us could take their photo as they were up there to celebrate the 30th birthday of twins in the group - so there was much excitement and congratulating going on!

Martin doing the honours
IMG_0064c-large.JPG

Because there were so many of them sitting round the cairn eating their lunch we didn't get the traditional summit cairn photo. But we did get the views - which considering the earlier forecast were much better than expected!

The other three while Martin was busy with group photography
IMG_0066l-large.JPG

Loch Assynt, Conival, Ben More Assynt and the lower cairn
IMG_0065l-large.JPG

A continuation to Sail Ghorm and Sail Gharbh was tempting but the path down was steep with pockets of hard packed snow. It didn't look a good idea for Mary's ankle and we all agreed we would leave the other two for another occasion.

The rest of the ridge
IMG_0070l-large.JPG

Canisp, Cul Mor and Suilven as seen on the descent
IMG_0078c-large.JPG

Above the rainbow
IMG_0079l-large.JPG

One benefit of shortening the walk was that we were back in the bunkhouse by 3.45 and had first use of the showers - which is a big deal when two showers are being shared by up to 14 folk who've spent the day out on the hill. Later we did the Loch an t-Sabhail circuit which gave lovely views of the whole of Quinag. We have unfinished business with this beautiful mountain range and will be back!

Quinag from Loch an t-Sabhail
IMG_0129-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A question of etiquette on Quinag?

Postby jamesb63 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 am

Lovely report Assynt is so rugged and beautiful at the same time :clap: :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 17, 2016 3:39 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Lovely report Assynt is so rugged and beautiful at the same time :clap: :clap:

It's unique in the Highlands - easy to see why so many love it. 8)
dogplodder

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue May 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Cracking pics (Suilven and Stoer, in particular).
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:Cracking pics (Suilven and Stoer, in particular).

Took far too many of Suilven - it's that kind of hill. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed May 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Lovely - happy to go back with you when you return to finish the business :lol: :lol:
Quinag has long been on my wish list and your lovely photos make it clear that it is a joy to come :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Gordie12 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:02 pm

Sounds like a bit of a mixed day but at least you have a good excuse to go back.

Not sure if you will just do the two outstanding hills or all three when you do head back - the walk of Spidean Coinich heading for the other two hills is really enjoyable.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely - happy to go back with you when you return to finish the business :lol: :lol:
Quinag has long been on my wish list and your lovely photos make it clear that it is a joy to come :D

You're on! :D
dogplodder

Postby basscadet » Fri May 20, 2016 10:12 am

Quinag is brilliant with a surprise at every turn - you will love it when you go back :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Sounds like a bit of a mixed day but at least you have a good excuse to go back.

Not sure if you will just do the two outstanding hills or all three when you do head back - the walk of Spidean Coinich heading for the other two hills is really enjoyable.

Nor sure which way we'll go Gordie - but I agree the linking ridge looked good! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat May 21, 2016 9:07 am

basscadet wrote:Quinag is brilliant with a surprise at every turn - you will love it when you go back :D

Just waiting for the right day! 8)
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland