walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

W. Lomond in mist then sunshine

W. Lomond in mist then sunshine

Postby dgcampbell » Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Route description: West Lomond from Craigmead

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: West Lomond

Date walked: 08/05/2016

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started off driving up through ever thickening mist to the Craigmead Car Park, then set off at around 10 am along the signed track for West Lomond. Still in thick mist and with a number of other walkers setting off before me, none of whom were ever seen again, at least not by me. The only bright spot being that the forecast was for sun later on.
About halfway to the summit cone I met up with a grouse standing happily on a rock and watching me carefully as I approached. The usual encounter with these birds is that they take off like a rocket from the heather 6 feet away, scaring you half to death, whereas this one, possibly confused by the mist, just stood and watched as I took a photo.
P1020678.jpg

It could have been a Well Known grouse and didn’t move because it had a hangover? After a few minutes staring at each other it got bored before I did, hopped off the rock and carried on with whatever grouse do on a Sunday morning.

The path was great but I couldn’t say the same for the view, although the mist was lifting slightly. Obviously an inherent part of walking is being eternally optimistic about the weather. Absolutely no sign at all of the summit at this point, the path could have gone completely round it and I would have been hard pushed to notice.
P1020679.jpg

At a pause for breath before starting up to the summit the easy way round I was overtaken by someone half my age who went on without needing the pause. I can remember those days!

Once at the top it was clear all round, though East Lomond, 3 miles away and 88m lower, was still in the clouds/mist. No people at the summit, just the sun and the view through the haze, the main path from the car park now visible with other walkers passing along it.
P1020680.jpg

Ballo (left) and Harperleas (right) Reservoirs
P1020681.jpg

Bishop Hill off to the SW
P1020682.jpg

The trig point seat was just warming up, though care was needed when choosing a position on the base as there were distinct damp patches remaining.
P1020685.jpg

Still solitude after 10 minutes and I headed South into the sun and down the steep scramble that made me glad I had chosen this as the route down rather than up.
P1020686.jpg

The crags and boulder fields shown below were a good reminder that some routes off the top could be more interesting than others.
P1020687.jpg

And a bit later the view back to the hill showing the descent.

P1020691.jpg

Then it was a gentle walk back towards the car park across the fields, Ballo Reservoir on the left and Harperleas Reservoir on the right.
P1020693.jpg

Past the ruins between Killiecrankie and Little Ballo with what is presumably an anti-people fence rather than an anti-sheep fence, unless they have some very athletic sheep in these parts.
P1020694.jpg

Finally one last look back and returned to the start in bright sunshine as others were just setting out. They would have better weather but wouldn’t see the grouse hiding in the mist or enjoy the change as the mist faded and the views were gradually revealed.
P1020695.jpg

A great way to spend a Sunday morning.
dgcampbell
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:19   

Re: W. Lomond in mist then sunshine

Postby Sgurr » Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Great leg-stretcher. Have you tried it from the bunnet-stone yet? I think this could be my new favourite way, though it adds a bit of height.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland