walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bagpipes on Stob na Broige, with ascent video

Bagpipes on Stob na Broige, with ascent video

Postby munrobagpiper » Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 10/05/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video account of climb, with music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcX_fSpKMgU

So last week, Scotland was sizzling in unnatural summer temperatures, and I had the great luck of working back shifts for the whole week. Upon seeing the weather forecast, I quickly set about re-arranging my work pattern. My work colleagues aren't quite as on the ball when it comes to looking ahead on weather forecasts, so I felt a bit bad knowing that people were covering my shifts when it was going to be such a great day, but then again...

walk1.jpg
Walking through the glen

As usual there is the big decision of WHERE to go when you have a full day. Due to still getting out of my winter fitness slump (it is going on longer than I would like), I wanted an easy day, taking in only one Munro.

Stob na Broige, is the lesser known summit of Buachaille Etive Mor, and having climbed Stob Dearg last year with some friends, I wanted to complete the set.

I was really worried at the start about the wind, and this was going to be constantly on my mind the whole walk, but the sun was out, and it remained dry. The walk in from the road is very straight forward, along the river, and you have the stunning summit rising majestically in front, drawing you.

I passed a few photo takers, who had wandered up the glen a little to take a few photos. I got a few odd looks, which are becoming less odd and more normal, with them seeing a random guy in a kilt.

walk4.jpg
stunning

Once at the bottom of the actual hill, it is basically a straight up climb. There was a broken path, which I lost a couple times, but on the whole, it was pretty straight forward. The wind was relentless, and I was actually getting soaked from the river getting blown BACKWARDS up the hill with force. It is at times like this, when you start to question the decision to wear a kilt on a Munro climb. Fortunately, no one was behind me!

walk5.jpg

Once at the top of the bealach, it was my kind of walk...ridge. It is amazing walking down a ridge, views on each side, and feeling that sense of freedom. It is time to put everything in perspective, you realise how small you are in the grand scheme of things, and that the world is there to be enjoyed.

walk 6.jpg

As I played my tune on the summit, I felt that sense of pride I always do when playing on a summit, and wishing I could somehow turn this into a career...wishful thinking eh.

As I packed up my pipes, unlike recent climbs, I had the time to just sit and take it all in. It was such a clear day, I was able to see so many tops. I am getting better at naming them now, having piped on so many of them now.

The descent was met with a sense of sadness. It is always sad leaving such stunning views behind, but the pub awaited.

Have a wee watch of the video link at the top, it shows it better than I can explain.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland