walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Late afternoon up Am Bodach (Bagpiped)

Late afternoon up Am Bodach (Bagpiped)

Postby munrobagpiper » Tue May 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 12/05/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Check out video of ascent, complete with music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Do2pM7YSjQ

Anyone that has driven the A82, can't fail to be impressed with Glencoe. Both sides of the road rival anything you can see anywhere in the world, and for me personally, it has always been a goal to get up into the hills. For one reason or another, it just hadn't happened yet. Today was going to be one of those days too, as I didn't intend doing this hill.

walk 2.jpg

My girlfriend and I were planning a weekend camping, so my plan was to set up the tent today (Thursday) climb a hill, then return on Friday after work. There was no fixed route planned, although I had several maps and options.

It wasn't until I drove into the Glen, that I just though, why not!

walk1.jpg

I packed my kit, and set off, through the masses of tourists and selfie sticks, even passed a group on the hill dressed in pumps and skirts etc, fortunately they weren't too high up.

The route itself is nothing to write home about, other than it is almost directly up! The scenery, however, as you gain height, is beyond words. The sun was breaking through the clouds, shining rays through the glen. The light striking the three sisters on the other side, was constantly changing, and therefor the mood.

walk 3.jpg

As I neared the top, underfoot got a bit more unstable, and greater care was needed, but the summit of Am Bodach was reached in a little over 2 hours.

walk4.jpg

The views were beyond words, and for the first time on a hill, as I went to the edge to check out the chancellor, I felt my legs a little bit jelly like. It was very dramatic, and very inviting to climb on to, but being by myself, and with a fairly strong wind, I felt it best to leave it for another day.

walk5.jpg

I wanted to complete the Munro, so I set off to do the final summit, but with the weather coming in slightly, and time getting on, I decided to just sit, enjoy the view, and take my time for the rest of the evening. I could have sat there all day.

walk 6.jpg
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Late afternoon up Am Bodach (Bagpiped)

Postby jacob » Wed May 18, 2016 8:05 am

Pretty impressive pictures. Well done :clap:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland