walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

GREAT 5 DAYS - Steall to Corrour - Mamores, Aonachs & Greys

GREAT 5 DAYS - Steall to Corrour - Mamores, Aonachs & Greys

by Mancunian » Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 am

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Bàn (Mamores), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire a' Chàirn, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 06/05/2016

Time taken: 96 hours

Distance: 60 km

Ascent: 5500m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: GREAT 5 DAYS - Steall to Corrour - Mamores, Aonachs & G

Postby Mancunian » Mon May 23, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Alteknacker (I still marvel at your Nickname). Many many thanks for your detailed reply.

Alteknacker wrote:....Epic expedition, epic report…

Cheers. Well, we try to stuff everything that someone from Scotland (or northern England) can do in a year into a couple of days. Thats why our trips are multiday and the report is rather long. :wink: To write down the report gives us the opportunity to relive our trip in a couple of years.

Alteknacker wrote:....I have real “Schadenmitleid” with the camera issue – my last expedition in 2015 was also to the Aonachs & Grey Corries (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56100), and I managed to lose my camera…

I remember that report and I felt the same for you when I first read it last year. But in your case, all the photos were lost while I still had the pics and could use my phone camera as a replacement. So it wasn't that bad for me.
But just as a remark, your trip of 46km and 3700m ascent is what we have stretched over 3 days. So that is indeed absolutely amazing. I am sure, no one of us could possibly keep up with you. Well done. I'm alwys looking forward to your TRs.

Alteknacker wrote:....Glad too that you had good weather – it makes such a difference, doesn’t it?…

The weather makes indeed such a huge difference! Plodding through rain and mist or snow and wind is crap, lets be honest here. Of course its nice to tell the mates at home how tough we were to cope with sh*tty weather but its not really worth it.
So far the weather quota is 6 years total, 4 years rain, 2 years sun. Makes a 66% chance of getting drenched next year. Thats Scotland and its weather, I guess.

Alteknacker wrote:...at 63...

Ufff! Your nickname gives a hint, that youre not 18 anymore but I'm seriously impressed. Honestly I'd have judged your age at 52ish.

Alteknacker wrote:....See you in the hills some day…

We will ... I'm sure.
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Munros:102   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby El_Catador » Thu May 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Wow. Looks like finally you got the weather you deserve. Great trip and an even better report. It is a shame that your cameras dont survive your trips. Maybe you should really just take your phone ? 8) Btw which phone is it ?
El_Catador
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 pm

I really look forward to your annual report and this did not disappoint. And so glad you got some lovely weather for once.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Mancunian » Fri May 27, 2016 2:43 pm

El_Catador wrote: 8) Btw which phone is it ?

Taking just the phone wasn't that bad. I was able to "free" my mind from the camera & taking lots of photos and enjoyed the trip instead. But I still took an awful amount of photos with my phone (around 800 in 4 days). :shock:
Its an LG G4 and the camera is remarkably good (at least for a phone).
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

Postby Mancunian » Fri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm

mrssanta wrote:I really look forward to your annual report and this did not disappoint. And so glad you got some lovely weather for once.

Oh, Its so nice to know that there is indeed someone out there reading the annual TRs. Many many thanks. And as said before: The weather was absolutely great. I even got sunburn which has never happened before in Scotland. :lol:
Mancunian
Hill Bagger

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland