walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ord Ban and Loch an Eilein

Ord Ban and Loch an Eilein

Postby Yorjick » Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Route description: Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ord Ban

Date walked: 18/05/2016

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 7.36 km

Ascent: 253m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ivan whom I met in Ruigh Aiteachain joined me for this short hill walk followed by a pleasant bike ride.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We probably did not take the best route up Ord Ban but meant that we did a traverse of the hill rather than a simple up and down. We were rewarded with beautiful primroses and other wild flowers.
DSCF9159.JPG

The summit has a cylindrical trigonometrical point which somehow always seems to raise the status of a hill. In terms of elevation, Ord Ban is a very modest hill but it provides fine views across the Rothiemurchus Forest to the Corbett Meall a'Bhuachaille and Cairn Gorm, while the view to the north includes the Burma Road and Geal-charn Mor.

DSCF9160Panorama.jpg

DSCF9160.JPG

DSCF9171.JPG

The previous day's walk had left me craving for some calories and food must have been very much on my mind when I thought that this sign said Pizza's Ices! When I walked into the small gallery, I was wondering where they cooked the pizzas! :?
DSCF9175.JPG

DSCF9174.JPG

After a cup of coffee, it was back to the car for the bikes and a ride around Loch an Eilein.
DSCF9175.JPG

DSCF9176.JPG
Yorjick
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:208
Grahams:55   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:159
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland