walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Charity Munro Climb

Charity Munro Climb

Postby grpat4 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 12/05/2016

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I will start from the very beginning.
My granny was diagnosed with breast cancer last year (she has now won her battle!) but the Beatson Cancer Centre in Glasgow helped her out massively, so I wanted to give something back to them.

This is where I decided to walk the magnificent Buachaille Etive Mor and raise money for charity, which is currently at £600! It couldn't have been a better day for the walk, highs of 18 and glorious sunshine.

This was my first munro, but I had been training and getting fit for the walk for around 4 months or so prior.
Set off from Glasgow at 6 to beat the traffic and I arrived at the car park ready to walk at 8am. By doing this, it meant that the majority of the walk on the way up was in the shade (thankfully!).

There was still snow at the top, so this meant I had to work around it. The walk at the start was fairly simple and enjoyable, but that last push to reach the first summit was far more steep and difficult to navigate, but with plenty of time on my hands, the slow and steady approach helped. Once reaching this first summit, I stopped to have something to eat before heading off to reach the very top.
The majority of those at the top had tackled the curved ridge side of Etive Mor, but as a total novice I had chosen to go for the "easier" route.
The views from the top were unbelievable, hardly a cloud in the sky. After a short stop at the top and a chat to some of the more experienced walkers/climbers, I started to head back down the same way I came up. Possibly not the best route choice as the ground under neath was far from secure, causing more of a "slide" on the way down.

The day couldn't have been more perfect for this walk, and I would definetely recommend the simpler route for anyone who is in reasonable shape. The views from the top were magnificent although I think I was lucky it was such a clear day!
Attachments
IMG-20160514-WA0010.jpg
grpat4

Munros:30   

Re: Charity Munro Climb

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon May 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Well done and you picked a cracking day for it :D
Sunset tripper

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland