walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dubh [Buachaille Etive Beag] - A Gloomy Glen Coe

Stob Dubh [Buachaille Etive Beag] - A Gloomy Glen Coe

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 31/07/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 760m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 31/07/2010
Title - Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)
Route - Standard route from car park, up and down path.
Weather - Cloudy and wet
People - Me / J / Iain
Time - 3 Hours
Distance - 7.3km
Ascent - 760m
Max Altitude - 958m

31072010 Stob Dub - Buachaille Etive Beag, Glencoe (route).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

31072010 Stob Dub - Buachaille Etive Beag, Glencoe (profile).jpg

I hadn't been out for a few weeks and probably wouldn't get out for a few weeks after today - not going out wasn't an option. I normally chase the best of the weather if possible but the forecast for all corners of the country was pretty grim :( With my bro on his first hillwalk I warned him today not to expect the views he's used to seeing in my pics :? Also didn't want to subject him to an epic and I've been here before so knew it was (as far as Munros go) a short and easy one.

We chose to do Stob Dubh first, see how that and the weather went, and make a decision on going up Stob Coire Raineach when we returned to the bealach. In the end lack of will and the now heavier and horizontal rain wrote off the idea of doing both Munros. Despite that it was still a great day out - we got up the bulk of the hill before any real rain and despite the cloud Glen Coe is always one of the best places in Scotland to me - one of my best days ever was on this hill 4 months ago- I've added a few pics from that day into this report....will hopefully detract from some of the greyness in here......

The start

Looking across to "The Study"

Nearly at the bealach

Nearly there on a better day..Image

Looking across to the cloud topped Aonach Eagach Ridge

A different story a few months ago:

On reaching the bealach, you can go left (NE) to Stob Coire Raineach or right (SW) to Stob Dubh. We opted for Stob Dubh, which turned out to be the only one we'd do today.

Ascending Stob Dubh

Reached the summit. Few quick pics. Drink of water. Lets get out of here.

Here's a pic from earlier in the year - looking at Stob Dubh from Stob Coire Raineach

Returning from Stob Dubh

Descent

Last glance back to todays tops

Nearly home and dry!

A fine day out despite the gloom! Whatever the season, get a good day and you'll be rewarded with some brilliant views like I had 4 months earlier:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Ml_K_6y7k[/youtube]

Roll on winter I say :D

==================================================
On the drive back through the glen the day brightened slightly for a few mins!

Three Sisters

One I made earlier

Three Sisters panorama (click to open large)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Stob Dubh [Buachaille Etive Beag] - A Gloomy Glen Coe

Postby skuk007 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Nice pics HighlandSC, shame about the weather. Hope it hasn't put your brother off this hillwalking lark! :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi HSC,
Well done on getting out. The forecast was pretty poor but with a bit of luck on your side it wasn't too bad. Hope your brother wasn't too put off by it. You still got some nice pics. :D
monty

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Cheers folks. Nah my bro's fine - very keen on getting into a bit more of it! He'll often walk 10 miles low level - epic dog walks really- it's just the ascent part that's new (and associated new kinds of leg/knee pain)! I told him it gets easier every time :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Beekeeper » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Looks quite familar for me. Have been up there this year on 27th Sept. The weather seems to be not bad for a hill walk but on the way the clouds came down and it looks like that :(
BEB_StobDubhRidge.jpg

So I have a good reason to come back and do the walk again. :)
Beekeeper
Mountaineer

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Grahams:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland