walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

10 mamores in one day.... not a chance

10 mamores in one day.... not a chance

Postby martinbarghati » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Date walked: 01/08/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Has anyone tried to complete the ten mamores in one day, we tried and failed miserably. My mate and i tried a week ago, on the advice of steve fallon.com. he reckons that if you are reasonably fit and have some experience on the hills it is possible to do in one day, between 10-12 hrs walking time.

So we set of on Thursdsay night and camped in glen nevis, with plans for an early rise on friday morning to attempt this walk. We entered the forest path at the foot of mullach nan coirean(6am) and climbed to first summit.I wont go into to much detail about the walk but we tried the route as follows: mullach nan coirean, stob ban, sgurr an lubhair,sgurr a mhaim, am bodach and finally an gearanach. By the time i got to this point my legs werent my own and the soles of my feet were on fire, it was 7.30pm and we had still to descend into glen nevis.

Now my mate and i are reasonably fit, we both train 4-6 days a week (cardio and strength) and we didnt stop for any longer than 15mins at summits. Also we had to carry a lot of water with us(4 litres).

I would love to hear from anyone who has climbed in this area or who has managed to do the 10 peaks. We thought we did well with six, but ten...not a chance. cheers
martinbarghati
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: 10 mamores in one day.... not a chance

Postby monty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi Martin,
Good effort. I done four last year but it could easily have been six because I skirted around two and got into all sorts of trouble. That was when I was a novice hill walker. I am much fitter and faster now. Me and Danrun intend to do the 10 but may wait till next year. As Steven Fallon describes it is certainly doable but it will be a long day. Looking at your munro count, 14, it may be that your just not up to speed yet. All the gym work and cardio doesn't necessarily equip you for a long day in the hills. I have trained in various sports all my life and find that the only way to get hill fit is to get out on the hills.

Put this one down to experience and try again :D Enjoy :D
monty

Postby martinbarghati » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 pm

hey monty ,

I think your spot on with that one, theres no better training for a sport, other than to do the sport itself. Also i think we may have been getting ahead of ourselfs a little, haha.

Thanks for the advice.
martinbarghati
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 pm

:D No worries. Good luck with your munros. :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Curlywurly and I did 4 Munros from Sgurr Eilde Mor, setting off at 0730 from an o/night camp at the lochan and were on Na Gruigaichean summit by 1200. I think we could have done all 10 and be done by 1900 but it would have been very tough. 6 in a day is pretty impressive though.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 pm

10 in a day is a huge task however fit you are. I'm sure I've seen Steve Fallon running in the Pentlands and he properly sprints round the hills at an intimidating speed.

As others have already said... try some sport specific training - i.e. actually going up and down hills once or twice a week, rather than just gym work (if that is what you are currently doing).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Did Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Ban, Sgurr an Iubhair and onto Am Bodach, before backtracking over Sgurr an Iubhair to Sgurr a Mhaim – a very warm day in 1994 and we really struggled on the descent. Whilst not exactly Monty, we were not unfit and it would be a very hard trip –good luck!
The real fun aspect of course was that, having done Sgurr an Iubhair twice….. it was demoted back to a top in 1997!! :? (doesn’t stop it being a great top) :?
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby munrowalker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Reckon it was the ascent that finished you off. The distance itself isn't too bad, I've done that a few times now and its fairly doable.

But its the ascent thats the real knackerer. It really puts the pressure on the lungs and the feet getting them up hard stony ground and back down again.

Reckon a good bit more practice and you'd have done it. But as others have said 6 is pretty good. Me I managed 2 of the Mamores when I tried that, but that was winter and couldnae see a blooming thing!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 am

My daughter was keen to have a go at all 10 a few years ago - and anything she can do ...... :crazy: We managed 4 before the weather deteriorated to the extent that we decided not to go on. No visibility at all, rain bucketing down. Having been back and done the others in two separate days in brilliant weather I'm rather glad we had to bail out.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby MacCookie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:13 pm

martinbarghati wrote:Has anyone tried to complete the ten mamores in one day, we tried and failed miserably. My mate and i tried a week ago, on the advice of steve fallon.com. he reckons that if you are reasonably fit and have some experience on the hills it is possible to do in one day, between 10-12 hrs walking time.

Where does it say 10 to 12 hours? His website says 14h10 (http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/mamores.html) and that's based on Naismith's Rule so will be excluding stops (although he's using 4km/h rather than Naismith's 5km/h).

I would love to hear from anyone who has climbed in this area or who has managed to do the 10 peaks. We thought we did well with six, but ten...not a chance. cheers

Haven't tried all ten, but know a few folk have done them in a oner.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby doogz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Boy on scottish hills done it quite recently with a student who hadnt really walked before...

Donaldshaw is his name...

tough but doable he writes
Last edited by doogz on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
doogz

Postby martinbarghati » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:52 pm

had a look at that report doogz,

What an acheivement, especially for someone with little experiance on the hills.

Noted that they didnt carry all there water to begin with, they refilled at the lochan at the foot of am bodach.

is it ok to do this on hills does ne1 know??

Anyway ill get the ten mamores in one day.........hopefully :?
martinbarghati
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 am

That was an excellent effort by those young guys. :D

As for taking water out the lochs, if I do that I pop a chlorine tablet in the bottle and wait 15 minutes before drinking it. You can buy the tablets from most walking gear shops. However running streams high on the hills are fine to drink out off. :D
monty

Postby johnnyaztec » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Looking at this for a walk next year,its 37km assuming you start from glen nevis yha and finish in the town of Kinlochleven (subtract or add depending on were your starting/finishing) .thats with 3300metres (11000ft)of ascent.memory map says 14.5 hrs for a speed of 4kph with ascent factor of 1 min per contour.prob add another 1hr/1hr30 for other breaks and stops.

Did the aonachs and grey corries last week which was 25km with 2000m ascent that was pretty hard going.It took us 15 hrs although an injury and a little bit of poor route selection at the end,slowed us down a bit.

Its deffo doable i would say(from the comfort of my armchair) :D
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Postby m16kra » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:29 pm

I can confirm it is possible :D
m16kra
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland