walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfectly Executed

Perfectly Executed

Postby pollyh33 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:41 pm

Route description: Am Basteir

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 23/05/2016

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1267m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To make up for having to cancel our Fisherfield trip because of the weather, Ron suggested a trip to Skye to bag a few more munros.

Two new ones for me and one new one for Dawn and a lot of hard work for Ron. :D :D

The walk up to the bealach was pretty uneventful, just a bit slippy and slidey on the scree and snow. The forecast promised sunny sunshine by noon, it was now 11.30 and we were still in drizzle :( :(

After helmets and harnesses were donned and inspected for correct fitting, Ron led the way up to the summit with me being short roped all of the way. It helped me move a lot faster and stopped me developing severe shaky knee syndrome :crazy:

The bad step was dealt with me being lowered and Ron and Dawn just clambering skillfully down, not such a bad step after all. A few minutes later we were on the summit of Am Bastier smiling like Cheshire cats. And then the fun began, Ron stopped all his usual daft chat and turned into Mr Super Safety Mountain Man. Belay devices, ropes and prussicks were checked, checked and triple checked before the abseils began. Ron first, then me and then Dawn. Two shortish descents, then a squeeze through a cheeky wee window and then one long descent. The rocks were wet and really slidey but Ron coached us all the way down and I can honestly say I never felt scared once. :clap: :clap:

Now we were safe and away from overhanging rocks, helmets and harnesses could be removed but I felt quite attached and comfortable in mine and wasn't in a hurry to take it off :D :D

An easy stroll saw us over quickly to the trig pillar on Bruach na Frithe and among many many others on the ridge that day. We retraced our steps and descended back down to the lochan. Once there we shed a few layers and the much promised sunshine was upon us and very very warm 8) 8) 8) . A lovely but busy stroll back to the car and lots of chat and plans about future walks were hatched. :wink: :wink:

And so my three days with Dawn and Ron were over. Lots and lots of hugs and kisses were exchanged with my new fabulous pal and my best hill pal ever.

Thanks Ron for never leaving me for a minute and for checking that I was happy and safe on all of our walks, these things are never forgotten.

Thanks also to you and Dawn for your company and hospitality, it was second to none. XXXX

am1r.jpg
am2r.jpg
am3r.jpg
am4r.jpg
am5r.jpg
am7r.jpg
am8r.jpg
am9r.jpg
am10r.jpg
am11r.jpg
am12r.jpg
am13r.jpg
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland