walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich and The Brack Day 3 of Corbett Adventure

Ben Donich and The Brack Day 3 of Corbett Adventure

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 am

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich, The Brack

Date walked: 14/05/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 1221m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 3 of the Corbett bashing was here and Moira and I were to be meeting up with fellow Argyll Mountaineering Club member Andy and Izzy from the Slainte Mountain Quiz website. Weather again looking very promising and with Izzy and Andy already at the car park, must be keen, when we arrived. After brief introductions and sun cream applied we were all booted up and raring to go by 9.30am.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Hill path well signposted take the left path up the hill, well worn track all the way with dry underfoot conditions
1a.JPG
Leaving the trees well behind looking back at Loch Restil in the distance
2.JPG
Further up the slopes with Beinn an Lochain (done the day before) and Beinn Luibhean
3.JPG
Loch Restil
4.JPG
Izzy with the Cobbler behind
5.JPG
Such a well behaved Poppy, for some anyway.
7.JPG
Coming nearer the rocky section
9.JPG
Andy on the downclimb. Poppy the dog had to be lifted at this section
9a.JPG
It's a big push, I'm sure one moved
9b.JPG
Looking back at the down climb section with others following
9c.JPG
The hill getting busier, hi again if your reading this report, nice to have met you on such a fabulous hill day
11.JPG
Group photo taken by a fellow walkhighlander Wendy, thank you for that, hope you enjoyed your day
13.JPG
Looking over to Loch Goil from the summit of Ben Donich
13a.JPG
Looking over to The Brack when we were coming off the South East slopes of Donich
13b.JPG
Ben Lomond in the distance coming off Ben Donich
17.JPG
Andy happy to have made the summit of The Brack after the hard climb
18.JPG
Group photo on the Brack's summit
20.JPG
After heading back to the bealach between the two hills we headed down further North towards the trees where there were a line of white poles showing you the way to a stile to the fence near the woods
21.JPG
The well worn path soon leads you to a track in the woods. There are some fallen trees to negotiate but nothing to take you off route
22.JPG
Beinn Luibhean left and Beinn Ime in the distance from the forestry track. All in all another fantastic day on the hills, thank you to all my walking partners and all that we met en route to make it so. Good Company and all in all a fun day on the hill, same again soon.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Thu May 26, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Ben Donich and The Brack

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 26, 2016 11:33 am

Looks a lovely hill and a right bonny dog!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Ben Donich and The Brack

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 26, 2016 12:37 pm

dogplodder wrote:Looks a lovely hill and a right bonny dog!

Another fine day on the hill, how lucky were we with more good days to come. At last trying to catch up with the reports, Rum ones to follow shortly.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Re: Ben Donich and The Brack Day 3 of Corbett Adventure

Postby PeteR » Fri May 27, 2016 10:00 am

Ben Donich's a cracker Rod. Especially that little rocky defile that you come across. I saw nothing from either of these two, so will definitely return. Did them as two separate walks.........split by about 6 years :lol: I quite like the idea of your combined route :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Ben Donich and The Brack Day 3 of Corbett Adventure

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 27, 2016 12:45 pm

PeteR wrote:Ben Donich's a cracker Rod. Especially that little rocky defile that you come across. I saw nothing from either of these two, so will definitely return. Did them as two separate walks.........split by about 6 years :lol: I quite like the idea of your combined route :wink:

Highly recommended I would say Pete, but I was a bit concerned how far the track in the woods went down, just thought it would be a case of climbing up to the car park :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland