walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Corbetts from Glen Lyon

Two Corbetts from Glen Lyon

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag, Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 01/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We wanted to make a circular route out of these two hills so we parked at Bridge of Balgie. We crossed back over the bridge
IMG_2194.JPG
River Lyon from the bridge
and turned left along the track that leads to the Scout campsite. After about 3km, just past some crags on the hillside, we left the track and headed up steep, grassy slopes towards the NE ridge of Meall nam Maigheach. Fortunately there were enough wildflowers for me to keep stopping for a rest. :wink: Rain was threatening over Carn Gorm
IMG_2199.JPG
Will it rain?
as we rounded the crags
IMG_2200.JPG
Round the crags
and contoured round Creag nan Eildeag. There is a faint path which disappears into the bracken occasionally but eventually emerges at a boggy bealach.
IMG_2202.jpg
Boggy bealach
Another couple of kms of boggy, peaty ground (actually it is not too bad!) leads to the summit of Meall nam Maigheach. There are great views across to the Tarmachan ridge
IMG_2207.JPG
Tarmachan ridge from Meall nam Maigheach
and also of Loch an Daimh
IMG_2203.JPG
Loch an Daimh
and the surrounding hills.
IMG_2208.JPG
Beinn nan Oighreag

We then descended southish to reach the road. Following some debate :crazy: we followed the road north until we came to a small bridge over the burn. Ascending diagonally across the hillside we reached the bealach between Creag Dhubh and Beinn nan Oighreag. From here a track leads to over numerous false summits to a large cairn. By this time it was raining hard. :( A golden plover called plaintively as we ploughed on. The large cairn is not the summit however but does provide good shelter. Dumping our rucksacks we had a short walk south to the real summit. A brief gap in the rain allowed a few photos of Glen Lyon
IMG_2210.JPG
Large cairn and Loch lyon
before we retraced out steps back to the bealach and then on to the bridge. A short walk down the road to Bridge of Balgie completed the route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Two Corbetts from Glen Lyon

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:51 am

An interesting little route there. I tagged the first of these two onto Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith last year. I thought it was arguably the dullest hill I'd ever climbed, but then I didn't get the views you seemed to get and I probably came at it from the least appealing angle. Going to keep the other one for a winter ascent tagged onto Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lyon.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Surely Beinn na Lap is the dullest hill in Scotland?
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Yeah, alledgedly, but I've not climbed it yet! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland