walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A loooooooong day in the Cairngorms, 2016

A loooooooong day in the Cairngorms, 2016

Postby kmai1961 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:57 am

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Ben Avon

Date walked: 27/05/2016

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 37 km

Ascent: 1707m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

alternate title: Passing the 11-hour test, and exactly what IS a cad?

Out with Andy again, who has somehow managed to score nearly a month off work, and is having a rather productive Munro/Corbett blitz. He was fresh off the Fisherfields, and had countersuggested the CMD Arete against my proposed Ben Avon and Beinn a’Bhuird. You can tell who won! :wink: However, I’d misjudged the early forecast, and as we set off under gloomy skies and cloud-covered tops, I sheepishly admitted that the night-before MWIS forecast had said that cloud-free summits in the west was a virtual certainty; less so in the east. Like I didn’t hear about that once or twice (more) throughout the rest of the day! :lol:

We managed a couple of mis-turns on our way up the glen after setting off at 7:30am; one of them requiring a km or so backtracking. As if this walk wasn’t going to be long enough in its purest form! :roll: Totally my fault this one, I’ll take it on the chin.

Slugain ruins -- I could live here, think I could get my groceries delivered?

It’s a long way up to the Sneck, but there's a good path all the way. We missed the lower path through the Fairy Glen, so mistakenly didn’t search for the secret howff until our return journey, at which point, we were too tired to spend much effort trying to find it. So a secret it remains from us for the time being.

The final step crossing the Glas Allt Mor left me with a soggy foot. Given that there was a good path for most of the walk, I’d worn my NF hedgehogs rather than my boots. Over the course of the day, having less weight associated with each step was probably beneficial, although my feet were very burny by the time we got back to the cars. Another downside was that many more rocks found their way into the shoes, and they didn’t offer quite as much water-crossing protection.

approaching the Sneck

We tucked ourselves behind one of the tors at the Sneck (11:45) for our first lunch. The view down Slochd Mor and parts north was impressive, but both Avon and a’Bhuird remained stubbornly stuck under cloud cover.

Slochd Mor

oooo, brave...

We opted to take on a’Bhuird first (1:00pm), as it looked slightly less clag-bound (wishful thinking). The ascent from the Sneck was straightforward, but we then spent what felt like a fair long time wandering around in circles, in the clag, trying to find the summit cairn. When we finally reached it, we didn’t stick around for long, other than to have a brief chat with a man who’d come up from the Linn of Quoich, and was carrying on to a bothy that neither of us had heard of. He was the only other person (besides each other) we talked to all day, although we did see someone else with a dog making his/her way up to the Sneck as we were leaving it for the first time.

So, back down to the Sneck, then the ascent up to Avon, and the further-than-it-looked walk across to the biggest tor/summit (2:30pm).

approaching summit Avon

We took it in turns scrambling up to the summit while the other took photos. Tor-larking finished, we settled in for more food, and to simply enjoy the view and sunshine, which had finally chased away the last of the cloud.

Andy making his way down -- see him? (center)

my turn to have a go

summit!

finally, a shared summit with sunshine and under blue sky

We then began the very long walk back (3:00pm), which was very long. I paddled across the Glas Allt Mor this time, which left me alternating between saying “ooh, ow” and “brrrr” over and over while Andy, having crossed it in three long steps, waited patiently for me to get across and then faff around getting my feet dried and shoes back on.

a view we'd not had in the morning

We did amble (limp gingerly) through the Fairy Glen, but it was a rough path on already sore feet, and although we kept our eyes peeled for the howff, neither of us was inclined to do any in-depth searching. I’ve since read/heard a clue that you’re more likely to find it from the upper path anyway.

We returned to the car park at 6:30pm; I was shattered and my feet hurt badly. I was also particularly dreading the drive home, even to the point of forgoing dinner, knowing that if we stopped for food, my dread would become even worse. I debated whether to stop along the way to grab something to eat, or even for a brief stretch (I could feel muscles seizing, and both hips ached) but I just wanted to get home, so drove straight through. I shifted about uncomfortably for the final hour or so, and it was a long and painful hobble up the stairs when I finally got there.

This is the most distance I’ve done in a single day, and I’m feeling it in the aftermath (blisters on the sides of my heels :( ). But it was a good day that eventually delivered, weather-wise, spent in great company, and I’m pleased with the accomplishment. Andy passed the 11-hour test (you know, the one that determines compatible pace, walking style, and whether someone can provide enough—but not too much—intriguing conversation, amusement, and entertainment to help fill all those hours); we also seem to have finally broken the no-view-wandering-around-in-the-clag curse that dogged us for the first few hills we climbed together.

** cad, simple definition: a rude and selfish man
full definition: an omnibus conductor (n/a to our conversation); a man who acts with deliberate disregard for another's feelings or rights.
Last edited by kmai1961 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Re: A loooooooong day in the Cairngorms, 2016

Postby londonwalker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am

Another engaging report and great to see the compliments are still flowing, but you do yourself a modesty, for you too passed the 11 hour test and with flying colours. A watershed moment indeed to sit on a summit in sunshine together, may it happen again.

If it's any consolation I also was rather sore that evening and grateful to make the last plot on the Braemar campsite the next day saw me make heavy work of the little Corbett

looking forward to the 14hr test
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland