walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

F/F it can be done in a day!!

F/F it can be done in a day!!

by Fife Flyer » Mon May 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 28/05/2016

Time taken: 14.5 hours

Distance: 42.5 km

Ascent: 3248m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: F/F it can be done in a day!!

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 pm

simon-b wrote:It is a magnificent place, Martin. These are some of the best views anywhere, made much more special because they are so hard earned. Even if it was your longest day, doing it all in just 14.5 hours was quite remarkable :clap:

Thanks Simon :wink:

basscadet wrote:Brilliant, what an achievement :D You got braw weather as well, a few hailstones don't really count ;)
Brought back some fine memories, thanks for sharing :clap:

Thanks Seana :wink:

PeteR wrote:I'm now knackered all over again Martin reading that :lol: I only managed 5 in two days :lol: :roll: It really was a superb effort on your part :clap: We may not have met en route, but you'd have passed my tent at Lochan a'Bhraghad. I might have been sleeping already though...A superb area, but definitely not to be underestimated.

Thanks Pete, I think there were a few tents near the Loch if I remember :lol:

Borderhugh wrote:Once again Martin well done for that big effort. Respect. You clearly have the fitness which I dont. I will be having words with Sgurr Ban when I seem him next. He took a lot out of me. :clap:

Thanks Hugh, see you in July unless we meet up again :lol:

RTC wrote:Astonishing time for these 6 hills Martin. Last Thursday, 2 days before you, it took me 13 hours from Shenavall to A'M, and back to Corrie Hallie over R.S.M. [I was the only person in Shenavall that night although, as you say, it was bound to have been busy on Saturday].
To put your time in perspective, last June I walked in from Incheril and joined up with a group on Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair. They had set off from Corrie Hallie at 4.30am and had gone the same route as you. I left them at the top of A'M around 5.30pm to walk back to Incheril. In other words, this group had taken around 13 hours by your route to reach A'M. If I've calculated correctly it took you around 9 hours. The oldest in the group was 10+ years younger than you. [I'm not trying to be funny.] Very well done.

Thanks for the kind words Russell the cheque is in the post :wink:

Jaxter wrote:Excellent report Martin :clap: :D I did seem to do a lot of waiting around...but it couldn't have been in better surroundings :lol: Was lovely to meet up with you - funny that you can meet someone you know in such a vast wilderness :lol:

Thanks Jackie, maybe Hugh will listen to you one day :wink:

old danensian wrote:Mega Martin - well done. I think you must have burst through the concept of being merely "hill fit" by now. Lots of good info for those who follow in your wake. You'll be crossing the line fuelled on momentum after the last few weeks. OD

Thanks Nigel, it's just a shame that I have to wait a few weeks and of course everything is crossed for Skye, weather wise :lol:

kmai1961 wrote:Epic, Martin, absolutely epic. Well done! :clap: Home stretch now...

Thanks Karen, see you in a couple of weeks :wink:

pollyh33 wrote:So very well done Martin. Excellent stuff. Not quite the inch by inch report I asked for but pretty damn close!!! That's a giant leap towards the finishing line- getting mega exciting now!!! PS did you miss my expertise at the river crossings???? :lol:

Thanks Pauline, you will be able to fill your boots (literally) with river crossings, only 3 to cross and they vary in width :wink:

The Rodmiester wrote:Great effort there Martin, one thing for sure you would not have done that this time last year, just goes to show how your fitness level has improved. Looks like you had a fine day for it, you will certainly remember that epic for many a year.

Thanks Rod, it is definitely a very special area 8)

jupe1407 wrote:That's a brilliant effort Martin :clap: I'm knackered just reading about it :lol: Seriously well done, I don't think i'd ever be fit enough to tackle this route. When the time comes, I'm intending on a 3/2 split to include a summit camp on A'Mhaighdean.

Thanks JP, you will love it, remote is an under statement :wink:

Alteknacker wrote:Nice one - you make it sound like a bit of a cakewalk too, doing it in such double quick time! Great report and some excellent pics. :clap: :clap: :clap: I've been looking for some time at ways of linking the hills I wanted to do in this area, and this was one of the one-day options I looked at. Another other was the standard route from Kinlochewe, but with the walking shortened by cycling up the track. My main criterion is that the route must include Beinn Dearg Mor, which has been right up at the top of my priorities since seeing this picture of it (taken from An Teallach). It's really good to see what the route looks like. So thanks for posting

Thanks AK, Beinn Dearg Mor really does look like a super hill 8)

scoob999 wrote:Aye it's been done by loads of people in a day, Me & Fi from Kinlochewe...KennyG from the fannich side and IainG the same way you done it :D A superfast time though and I never had you in the same league as Monty or Andrew Doggett :shock: I stand corrected though :? Well done :D

Thanks Scoob, I didn't doubt it hadn't been done before, it certainly gave me a good work out :lol: :lol:

dogplodder wrote:Inspiring report and good to know it can be done in a day without bike or tent! 8)

Thanks dp, word of caution it is a long tough day. On the ascents, I really did put my head down to try and make up time :lol:

dooterbang wrote:Super human effort Martin, obviously you're not a resident of Earth :wink: Superb report and photos, enjoyed that. Nice of you to show them young guns Jax & Hugh how it's done :wink:

Thanks Paul, I may even be able to keep up with you - if I kept you on a leash :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby litljortindan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Haven't done your route but have been over the first four from near Shenavall and also in to Shenavall itself several times so feeling quite nostalgic. First time in was after hitch hiking all the way from Dundee then walking through a dark, drizzly night and failing to find the path down through the crags just minutes from the bothy so we spent a cosy but wet night in sleeping bags on carry mats in the steady and relentless rain but then got a great day on An Teallach to make up for the soaking.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jac the lassie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:33 am

Great report, that's spectacular good going Martin!
:o
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Crikey. It's inspiring to know it can be done in a day but to do that lot in 14 hours I think I'd need a motorbike :) I still plan on doing A'Mhaighdean one day and I'm not a fan of carrying tents either so this gives me hope :) :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Emmanuelle » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:52 am

what a guy! I'm planning to do them in July but I'll be camping/bothy-ing!
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:34 pm

jac the lassie wrote:Great report, that's spectacular good going Martin! :o

Thanks Jac, still think about the day - 2 weeks later :lol:

BobMcBob wrote:Crikey. It's inspiring to know it can be done in a day but to do that lot in 14 hours I think I'd need a motorbike :) I still plan on doing A'Mhaighdean one day and I'm not a fan of carrying tents either so this gives me hope :) :clap:

Trust me if I can do it, most fittish walkers can :lol:

Emmanuelle wrote:what a guy! I'm planning to do them in July but I'll be camping/bothy-ing!

Thanks Emmanuelle, enjoy as they really are remote and don't forget the insect repellent :lol:
Bothy was certainly my original plan, but over a bank holiday weekend would be a tight squish :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 pm

A' Mhaighdean ... i camped on that beauty but the walk from Sheneval with 19-21Kilos up A'Chlaidheimh was murder and the walk out next day loooooong .

Thats some going in that time , 's math a rínn thú a' bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Monster day Martin :shock: - Well done!!! :clap: :clap:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby zatapathique » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm

I am impressed to no end! 14.5 hours, how did you do that?! It took me more than 22 hours for exactly the same tour, so you've been a third faster!

You certainly bear your name "Fife Flyer" rightfully. I had read your post before attempting my Fisherfield-in-one-day, but I hadn't thought I was so slow... ;-)

Congrats!
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Postby Jaywizz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Awesome!!!! Well done and great report
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland