walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blackmount Corbetts the long way

Blackmount Corbetts the long way

Postby jackfrost » Mon May 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Chasgaig, Stob Dubh

Date walked: 30/05/2016

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday evening (29th May), I parked up at Victoria Bridge and walked north along the West Highland Way to Ba Bridge before leaving the track and heading into Coire Ba where i camped.

DSC02881.JPG
Evening camp in Coire Ba looking towards the Bridge of Orchy hills

After a peaceful night, I woke to a fantastic sunrise over Rannoch Moor and was ready to go by 7am.

DSC02885.JPG
And in the morning, looking to Stob a Choire Odhair

My ridiculous route started up the steep ridge of Sron nam Forsair and within an hour I was at 3000ft, clouds billowing around the coire below. Some great views over to Meall a Bhuiridh and across the moor.
DSC02889.JPG
From Sron nam Forsair looking over Rannoch Moor

DSC02893.JPG
Looking north towards Creise

DSC02897.JPG
Meall a Bhuiridh

From Clach Leathad, I continued west to descend to the bealach at 698m and then horse up my first Corbett of the day - Beinn Mhic Chasgaig. I planted an antler branch in the cairn.

DSC02902.JPG
From the Corbett of Beinn Mhic Chasgaig north across Glen Etive/Coe and beyond

DSC02906.JPG
telephoto of Stob Dearg, Crowberry Tower prominent

Then I descended very steeply, but on good grassy terrain to the Allt coire Ghiubhasan, losing all my height to reach ~200m

DSC02909.JPG
butterwort in flower

The heat down here was stifling, and I started to struggle a bit here. I took on a load of water and refuelled with nuts/raisins etc. Then battled my way in the heat haze onto the rough meandering ridge of Beinn Ceitlein. Once at 700m, I found a good contour to trot along on the west side and headed towards the next objective - Stob Dubh:

DSC02911.JPG
the Corbett of Stob Dubh from the west side of Beinn Ceitlein

I dumped the bag below the final climb. I was 5hours in when I reached the summit.

Next it was a turn to the south and a descent to a 360m bealach where I found a dribble of water. Then climbed very steeply through diagonal crags zig-zagging my way onto the ridge of Meall Odhar. I was now peching, and almost expiring. But eventually the ground levelled out and I was able to crank up the pace along the broad grassy ridge heading towards Stob Ghabhar. Sadly, after 7hrs 19mins, the battery on my Garmin died. I felt the same way.

DSC02923.JPG
North towards Etive/Coe from near Stob Ghabhar

After passing over Stob a Bhruach Leith, I decided to give the Munro of Stob Ghabhar a miss and drop directly south to reach the track at Clashgour where I hoped I'd be able to switch off for the car park return. My feet were starting to ache now.

DSC02926.JPG
Creag Bhulgach west of Stob Ghabhar

Unfortunately, the track was no salvation for my feet and I winced at a slow pace for the final 3 or so km back to Victoria Bridge. I had to stop for a break at a bridge only 1km short of my finish line. I was startled to see a deer hind emerge from the water in the culvert under thr track and then stroll nonchalantly across the Abhainn Shira.

Back at the car, my misery was not over. Having removed my boots and socks and thrown them in the car boot. I then closed the boot with the car keys inside! :crazy: There I was bare foot, with only shorts and a t-shirt on with the midges descending in the middle of the Highlands. Fortunately my panic only lasted 5minutes - when I realised the boot was not fully closed. Once I'd forced it shut, it then let me re-open it. :oops: Phew.

Anyway, in hindsight my route was far too long, but took me to some lonely glens and hills I'd never visited before. the camp in Coire Ba was special.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jackfrost
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:188
Fionas:37   Donalds:61
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:38

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland