walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Red hot on Red Hill

Red hot on Red Hill

Postby U059361 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Menteith)

Date walked: 01/06/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk is sign posted for Ben Gullipen. I parked on the Mollands Straight carpark just south of Callendar on A81 to Aberfoyle. From here it is a walk along a forest track waymarked till I left the forest through a gate into another estate. Ben Gullipen is visible ahead by now anyway. The track goes all the way to the top as there are phone masts up here. Beinn Dearg is the next hill along and can be reached following a worn path through the heather so bring your gaiters. I came down this path and crossed over to a faint vehicle track through grass that leads up to the side of Beinn Dearg. It is a bit wet here but not difficult walking. At the top of the track a path is visible heading up to the top through the heather. I followed it up to the fence and then past a solitary tree to continue to the fence junction at the top of the hill. Great views all around, so many lochs visible across the Trossachs and so many hills. I had part of my lunch at the fence post and then the rest just beyond the tree to enjoy all the views.
ImageLoch Venachar and Ben Ledi by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Gullipen and Lochan Balloch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It is the same route back which I covered in record time.
ImageBeinn Dearg and Lochan Balloch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
So it was a red hot day, with hot views from the red hill walked at a hot pace.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland