walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hot hot hot on Ben Ledi!

Hot hot hot on Ben Ledi!

Postby KatTai » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 02/06/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday was Moss' first hillwalk without her mentor Millie, who was laid up with a sore paw. Was almost tempted to go for Ben Lomond again, but decided to go for a new hill - Ben Ledi. We found a spot to park and set off, only for me to realise I hadn't picked up the lead so back down we went where I found I'd left the lead at home! Fortunately there is a spare lead in the car, far from the best lead but it would do if needed so lead in my pocket we set off again.

2.jpg

The first part of the walk is through an area that has been felled, so not the most attractive views but then we reached the younger woodland that had been replanted further up and that was much nicer walking through - or it would be if it wasn't for the heat!

4.jpg

Heading up the steps, I seriously considered giving up and heading back down. I don't do well when it's hot but that little breath of wind kept me going, along with several stops in the shade to cool down a bit. Progress on the first stretch was slow until we crossed the stile and started following the path up to the shoulder where there was a bit more of a breeze and coupled with a few clouds drifting over occasionally to block the sun a bit, it became a bit easier. Moss had a much simpler solution for the heat, lying down in the bog to soak her belly...and yes, I did feel tempted to try it myself!

34.jpg

We reached the shoulder and followed the obvious path along it. Moss was put on the lead for this bit as I'd seen a few sheep just over the edge on the way up though I couldn't see them. On meeting another walker, I asked if he'd seen any sheep and he said he hadn't so she was let off again, though I didn't let her go too far ahead just in case!

The views across to the Arrochar Alps were amazing, though initially I was too busy watching where my feet were going to notice!

e.jpg

We neared the summit, but there was a group of people at the summit marker with dogs that were barking at Moss with their hackles up so we stopped for lunch away and out of sight of them. There were a pair of ravens hanging around the summit, I always like seeing the ravens, so I spent some time watching them too.

f.jpg

By the time I'd finished my snack, the other group had gone so we went across to the summit marker and another walker was kind enough to take our photo.

26.jpg

It was the time to start heading back down, we just went back the same way. Moss was left rucksack free so she could have a run about and burn off some more energy.

25.jpg

I think she appreciated the views too...

41.jpg
Last edited by KatTai on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Hot hot hot on Ben Ledi!

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:47 pm

So that's the views I missed the other day, nice. Ta for posting, a nice wee stroll, but hot in this weather. Looks like a very popular hill especially at the weekend.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Hot hot hot on Ben Ledi!

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:28 pm

More great photos of Moss to add to the collection.

I climbed Ben Ledi on Monday with similar weather, it certainly was a hot and sticky climb but worth it for the fantastic views.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland