walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Postby inca » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:29 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 29/05/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 623m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

OS Map: 52

Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog

Loch Turret dam – Auchnafree Hill – Ton Eich – Choinneachain Hill – Creag Dhearg – Loch Turret

A walk that surpassed expectations. I enjoyed it very much. Done as per the WH route. The day started cold with a thick mist hanging over Loch Turret. Parked up at the dam after a drive along the windy single track roads from Crieff - a pretty part of the country.

Set off at 0900 hours along the good track on the east side of the loch. By the time I’d got to the right hand turn below Auchnafree, the mist was lifting and Carn Chois and Ben Chonzie were visible across the water. There seemed to be a student camp near the head of the loch.

A short but steep ascent takes you to a left turn in the track and thereafter up to the summit. There are 2 cairns, the smaller one being the true top. The sun was out, visibility crystal clear and the dogs and I had the place to ourselves – perfect.

The plateau south towards Choinneachain Hill looked relatively dry so we set off, plotting a line alongside some old fence posts. This was a mistake – the ground quickly becomes riven with thick peat hags and soft, boot sucking, mud. Rejoining the main track up Ton Eich, the dogs set off after a small hare that crossed our path. Much too quick for them, particularly in the heat.

Met a young couple coming the other way beside the Beinn Choinneachain cairn and then had a lunch stop on Creag Dhearg. Views towards Loch Turret were excellent. The route finishes with a steady descent towards the starting point – it’s a decent path though feint in parts.

The car park, virtually empty when I arrived, was almost full. Not a walk that lends itself to jaw-dropping photos but did get one or two decent shots on the return leg.
inca
Mountaineer

Munros:223   Corbetts:71
Grahams:82   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:185   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland