walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The East Pentlands - A Glencourse Round

The East Pentlands - A Glencourse Round

Postby inca » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Allermuir Hill, Black Hill (Pentlands), Scald Law

Date walked: 24/04/2016

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 865m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Attendees: Me, Jake, Big Dog, Small Dog
Map: Harvey’s Superwalker ‘Pentland Hills’

Flotterstone – Turnhouse Hill – Carnethy Hill – Scald Law – East Kip – West Kip – Hare Hill – Black Hill – Bell’s Hill – Glencourse Reservoir – Flotterstone

Jake coming off Black Hill - this was probably as close to him as I got all day
ImageP1120327 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Sunday morning round with my 19 year-old stepson who was training for the Isle of Wight 100k Challenge the weekend afterward. The dogs came too. Naively thought I might be able to keep up with him but that idea was quickly put to rest. For much of the time I was trailing in his wake.

Anyway, a decent enough route over several hills I’ve done previously. Mild day that saw us traverse Turnhouse, Carnethy, Scald Law and the Kips first. We looped round to the northern tops using the Bavelaw Castle track as far as the western slopes of Hare Hill. Return leg was - Hare Hill, Black Hill, Bell’s Hill and Harbour Hill. Decided to cut out Capelaw, Allermuir and Castlelaw hills as I see enough of these in midweek dog walking. Besides, I decided he was going too slow :lol:

Leaving Carnethy for Scald Law
ImageP1120317 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Scald Law trig
ImageP1120319 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Glencourse Reservoir from above
ImageP1120321 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Crossing from the south to north ridge - looking from Logan Burn back towards the Kips
ImageP1120326 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

The outward side of this round is much more popular than the return side but it’d be hard to get lost regardless – good tracks and paths exist the whole way.

Edited 31/1/17: Text added, pics added from FlickR and status changed from personal log to trip report.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland