walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Highest point on the Mainland. Orkney Mainland.

Highest point on the Mainland. Orkney Mainland.

Postby Ranger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mid Hill (Mainland Orkney)

Date walked: 13/12/2015

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A spare few hours on Orkney Mainland allowed me to take in the island's (one of 20 inhabited within the Orkneys) highest summit.
From Kirkwall a coach destined for the ferry port at Houton (for Hoy) dropped me at the village of Orphir, overlooking Scapa Flow, where a primary school is neighboured by a dozen or so houses.
P1150207.JPG
On the approach track

By the noise coming from the adjacent school, the kids were on their lunch break as I set off into more peaceful climes along the track leading to the Orkney clay-pigeon shooting club. As the local wind turbine whirred away, I passed some sheep looking bemused at my presence, hinting this wasn't the most frequented hill in Scotland. There were no signs of activity so I passed the warning signs and side-stepped the building, emerging onto a field carpeted with the decimated remains of pigeons - thankfully all of the clay variety. It was a pathless trudge across heathery slopes, albeit with views constantly opening up behind across Scapa Flow, onto the top of Ward Hill - topped by an odd looking pole but not actually the highest point overall.
P1150208.JPG
Warning sign on the approach track

P1150209.JPG
Orkney clay-pigeon shooting building

P1150212.JPG
Pole on the first top

P1150218.JPG
Looking from the trig pillar of the first top to the highest point

The acclaimed title of highest peak on the Mainland - the Orkney Mainland - goes to the drably-named Mid Hill. Surely it carries a more romantic norse-based title but not according to the Ordnance Survey. Given this was the crowning summit of all Orkney I was a little surprised to see such a sorry excuse for a cairn, although clumps of peat and heather aside, there were few raw materials available to enlarge it. A biting north-easterly breeze was cutting me in half and, with a flight back to Aberdeen to catch, I didn't need the excuse to dash away downwind in the direction of the main road.
P1150224.JPG
Modest cairn for the highest point on the Orkney mainland!

P1150234.JPG
Traversing the first top on its west flank

P1150237.JPG
Looking to Hoy

P1150238.JPG
Looking back to the highest point from the west flank of the first top

I flanked around the top of Ward Hill, enlifted by the sun breaking through the clouds, illuminating the heather slopes with an orangey hue, and followed a fence line down to a gravel track. The silhouette of the Island of Hoy stood out starkly, a more enticing, dramatic prospect than the Mainland with higher summits and the famous Old Man hopefully warranting a future visit. The road down was an access to a firing range, deserted today despite more warning signs beside a gate.
P1150239.JPG
Looking south from the walk back to the road

P1150248.JPG
Joining the track that heads back to the road

P1150253.JPG
Warning sign for MOD shooting range

I arrived back at the road and wandered along back to the school from where I had started, in good time to catch the return bus back to Kirkwall. A spectacular sunset was a fine way to end an interesting jaunt before the flight home that evening.
P1150255.JPG
Waiting for the bus

P1150268.JPG
Sunset
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland