walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor and Armine

Creag Mhor and Armine

Postby Benaden887 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Ben Armine, Creag Mhór (Sutherland)

Date walked: 05/06/2016

Time taken: 5.45 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 921m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sat/ Sun. Creag Mhor and Ben Armine - From Braemore I drive up Strath Kildonan to Kinbrace for Bandenloch lodge and park at the Loch for a fare of soup, pot noodles and tea.
A home crisis with overflow coming out a manhole keeps me awake wondering how serious the problem is likely to be.
In the car I hunker down in fleece bivvy and watch the setting sun fade beyond distant peaks, then manage to nod off . The cold wakes me 0210 - I pull on today`s clothing and return to the bag. Low cloud covers the hilltops and a brisk NE wind moves the long grasses - rain looks likely. After a while I dispel thoughts of sleep and boot up, ready to go.Not yet daybreak, but light enough to see the pathway, a wind assisted cycle gets me after 13.5km. to Gr 687310 where I leave the bike. A smaller track climbs up the E side of Meall nan Aighean to 400m, drops for 60m to rise again above a somber Gorm loch beag. Here a further track leads up into cloud and a bealach for both peaks. Cross the burn on a S bearing for Creag Mhor hits the trig point and clutch of stones - it`s lighter now, but sadly there`s nowt to see.I run back down for a easier than thought, climb to Ben Armine`s flat summit - I know from the Rodmeister`s report there are three small cairns here. - I only find two - cross above a rocky cleft to shave the side of Aighean, down a burn to find the upward trail. The sun appears - and too late, the hill behind me clears. Lower down, to the W could be Klibreck and Loyal, other hilltops start to appear, a number of lochans and the broad vista of complete emptiness. Cloud still covers hills in the N. I bike back somewhat slower than I got here. Chasing small groups of deer, antlers in velvet. The larger ones just stand and stare - looking back - my hills are stunning now - a common complaint re all hillgoers. I meet my first human of the w/e a fellow biker who is also a Walk highlander. A brief chat then carward to another walker, planning to camp up top - who confirms I`ve just done the route from Dempsters book - ah well, great minds an aw that. By the time I reach the car the clouds are gone and the lochside is full of fisherfolk. 4x4s bring yet more boats to the waiting group with their long wavy rods. Change of clothes - eat an drink then back home to sort my problems.
Seen enroute Eagles smaller raptors, deer, weasel, stoat (2) hares up top, rabbits grouse pheasants umpteen wee birds frogs lizards and sheep.

29.5km cycle 16.5km walking 921m 5.45hr

Call home on reaching Helmsdale to find the situation under control.
Still heading home, but something to go ?
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

Re: Creag Mhor and Armine

Postby mountainsofscotland » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:10 pm

I did these two on foot last year and the total came in at a whopping 49.5km. I don't use a bike but by the end of this walk, I wished I did.
mountainsofscotland

Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:361   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:73   Islands:46

Re: Creag Mhor and Armine

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 am

mountainsofscotland wrote:I did these two on foot last year and the total came in at a whopping 49.5km. I don't use a bike but by the end of this walk, I wished I did.

The bike does make a difference
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland