walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Muick

Loch Muick

Postby RicKamila » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Route description: Loch Muick Circuit

Date walked: 04/08/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 210m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided to go on a nice long walk today, so we headed to Loch Muick. We arrived and realised that this would be full of tourists, but carried on anyway. We headed off from the visitor centre and walked down the Lochnager path to the old village. From here we carried on to Glas-allt Shiel house. We were going to head to the waterfall, but after climbing up three different paths, we decided we didn't feel like hill walking, and because there were so many tourists heading up the hill, we headed back down to the loch and stopped for lunch at the beach. This time I took tea with me which went down a treat.

The walk along the other side of the loch was much harder as it was a single file track and there was a good 30m drop on one side. Eventually we got to the bridge and as I was taking photos, a Stag appeared on top of the hill above and stared at us for a few minutes. We headed back to the visitor centre and saw a herd of around 30 deer grazing on grass.

An enjoyable, but very touristy walk.

Rating: 5.5/10
Attachments
DSC00743.JPG
Loch Muick.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland