walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Aonach Eagach with Video Footage

The Aonach Eagach with Video Footage

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 05/06/2016

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Aonach Eagach

Film -

Easter 1999 and my hillwalking friends suggested I head off and do a ridge walk with them, suggesting something in Glencoe. Not long into my addiction for the hills, I thought this would be a grand day out – and it was! A borrowed pair of crampon compatible boots and ice axe in tow we headed off up The Aonach Eagach in soft spring snow  It was fun and exhilarating…..

It wasn’t until 2008 on a balmy September day that I returned. We started on a scramble on the nearby A’ Chailleach and continued round to the Pap - another fine if tiring day was had.

So eight years again passed without a return and with limited time I decided on an overnighter on the ridge and an early start to tackle it.

The weather has been fantastic for a number of weeks and today was no different. The car thermometer registered 28 degrees as I parked up – it was going to be hot! I headed off gingerly and slowly around 17.30, mainly due to the large amount of gear but also knowing there was no rush! I met a few scramblers who were sun beaten and on the final leg of their day and the smiles on their faces said it all really

A little later and I popped out on the summit of Am Bodach and was greeted by the inhabitants, hungry for their tea! A little scouting about and I was lucky to find a cracking spot with the Chancellor below me that was offering a fine light breeze, enough to make the local blood suckers look elsewhere for their tea ;)

A quick pitch and then some tea. The views were amazing as always in Glencoe. The Bidean Massif looked very grand and had me thinking that the Massif is perhaps the most impressive mountain in the UK? May be I have been guilty of taking it for granted due to its accessibility but from this viewpoint it was looking immense!

I had tea and took some photos and watched the sunset- then bed…… It had been eight years since I’d last done the ridge, I spent some time thinking how I would find it in the morning with a tired mind and body! Not to worry the adrenaline was pumping when I woke at 03.30 and it really had not gotten dark at all. I notice maybe two stars above Bidean as I peered out during my doze! By 04.10 I was off and immediately descending Am Bodach – concentration required but no real difficulties… Then the fabulous walk to Meall Dearg with the sun rising behind me… The camp and early start meant I had the Ridge to myself and I lingered on the Munro watching the sun get higher and lighting up the Ridge that was rolling out before me…

Onwards I went – the scrambling becoming a little more sustained until I reached the Pinnacles. What a cracking location and scramble. Care required but again no real difficulties in this fabulous weather…. A little further until the scrambling ended on Stob Coire Beath then I about turned and reversed the route, again no one to be seen and I reached my tent around 0700. A quick strike and I set off back down – taking the Corrie route down which was a little less demanding with my big bag on. The sun was beating down and the streams made a grand refreshment stop.

Back at the car well before 0900 and early home. An amazing adventure. It’s amazing what you can pack into a short period of time  P.S. Not leaving it another 8 years!

Some snaps:

Imagechancellor Aonach Eagach by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageevening rays Glencoe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageMorning Bidean nam Bian by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: The Aonach Eagach

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh those photos.... so lovely. I've been meaning to go back and do this again for a while and you have just convinced me. If there's anywhere I'm going to try and lug a tent up, it'll be there after reading that :)

And yes, I think the Bidean Massif takes some beating for being photogenic, but it's very hard to find a decent angle on it - apart from that final photo which is simply beautiful.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:14
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Borderhugh » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Superb :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Grahams:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:100   Islands:9

Postby kev_russ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Another steaming boots classic :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:155   Corbetts:54
Grahams:25   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Brilliant !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Photos can't describe the views and feelings on the ridge,especially when walking alone ( without compare the body size/lenght with the rock, ridge and pinnacles ).......but the video and drone view shows what is it about :thumbup:
Well done - done in both directions when you walked back to your base with tent :clap: :D :clap:
Great memories from the ridge - two years ago and looking forward to do it again...and again...hope soon :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   Corbetts:28
Grahams:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:10   Islands:1

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:38 am

Another fantastic video. Been along there twice -in 1992 and 2002 but that is possibly it for me. That said, I have been slowly taking on more difficult terrain over the last three years so who knows. The helmet camera shots and drone shots over the arête certainly how slender the ridge gets.
You seem to be fully fit again so looking forward to many more of these I hope.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:27   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Just thinking...been 6 years since I did this. Your video makes me want to do it again :)

Superb!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 am

BobMcBob wrote:Oh those photos.... so lovely. I've been meaning to go back and do this again for a while and you have just convinced me. If there's anywhere I'm going to try and lug a tent up, it'll be there after reading that :)

And yes, I think the Bidean Massif takes some beating for being photogenic, but it's very hard to find a decent angle on it - apart from that final photo which is simply beautiful.

Thanks Bob - its well worth the effort :) a grand view of Bidean too :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 am

Borderhugh wrote:Superb :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:00 am

litljortindan wrote:Another fantastic video. Been along there twice -in 1992 and 2002 but that is possibly it for me. That said, I have been slowly taking on more difficult terrain over the last three years so who knows. The helmet camera shots and drone shots over the arête certainly how slender the ridge gets.
You seem to be fully fit again so looking forward to many more of these I hope.

The knee has been holding out ok, cant run on it but not been able to do that for about 15years! Just glad to be in he hills :)

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:01 am

dooterbang wrote:Just thinking...been 6 years since I did this. Your video makes me want to do it again :)

Superb!!

Thanks Dooterbang - a superb wee outing :)

ATB

M
wilkiemurray

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:58 am

Great video :clap:
Cairngorm creeper
Scrambler

Munros:140   Corbetts:21
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jac the lassie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Some beautifully stunning pics and video! :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Wow that's incredible!! What an epic :clap: :clap: :D

Was feeling ok about it until you described the pinnacles as "crazy" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:125
Grahams:61   Donalds:46
Sub 2000:87   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:69   Islands:26

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Absolutely stunning! I didn't think there was anything more that could be done photographical with AE, but you've done it again. Brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:169   Corbetts:30
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:100   

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland