walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sharp Edge

Sharp Edge

Postby pamfox » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 05/06/2016

Time taken: 6.25

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1016m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day Two - Souther Fell to Bowscale Fell, with a Sharp Edge in the middle!

Track_2016-06-05 155524.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Surprisingly, I didn't feel bad at all from the day before. My feet had took a bit of a pounding because they get really hot. I definitely need some cooler boots for the summer. Today was going to be hotter so sorry feet.
We managed to get one of the last two parking places and set off up Souther Fell. It wasn't as steep and gruelling as yesterday which I was grateful for. It was quiet setting off from here.
IMG_1661.JPG
Great Mell Fell and Little Mell Fell

The walk up to Scales Tarn and Sharp Edge was long from here and seemed to go on forever. I couldn't wait to start on the ridge but I won't deny that I was a little bit apprehensive. I'd been wanting to do Sharp Edge for ages and today was the day. Yikes.
IMG_1662.JPG
There it is

IMG_1664.JPG

We were starting to see a lot more people as we got nearer to Scales Tarn. A lot of them went straight down to the tarn for a rest and some grub.
IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG
Scales Tarn, a beautiful spot for a rest

It had been a long walk up and I was well ready for a rest at this point, but really looking forward to going on Sharp Edge as we got nearer.
IMG_1668.JPG
Simon and Emily on their way

Further up this path someone had written "It's scary" on a flat rock. Ha ha quite funny. It didn't put me off though.
IMG_1669.JPG

Well it is definitely sharper than Striding Edge but not as bad as I thought.
IMG_1670.JPG

I tried to take photos that showed how steep it was but they were rubbish.
IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

There were a few awkward bits that would be dodgy on a wet, slippery day but i was really enjoying being there. Even the scramble onto Blencathra wasn't that bad. It was good fun in fact. It was a great feeling getting onto Blencathra and we had a bit of a rest. We could see good old Skiddaw. It looked completely different from here, not the pointy mountain I always think of it as being.
IMG_1673.JPG
Sharp Edge doesn't look too bad from this side

IMG_1674.JPG
It looks worse from this side

Our next stop was Atkinson Pike. From here we could see Hallsfell Ridge which looks a great way onto Blencathra.
IMG_1679.JPG
Hallsfell Ridge

Three more Wainwrights to go. The two days walking had caught up on me and my feet were sore with a couple of blisters, despite slapping the blister plasters on. I've walked miles in my boots with no trouble, so I was surprised that they had suddenly started to cause problems. It was a long trudge to the summit of Mungrisedale Common, where I tried to cool my feet down. Don't think it helped much :( From there we made our way to Bannerdale Crags and then Bowscale Fell.
IMG_1684.JPG
Bowscale Fell?

There was still a lot more of Mungrisedale Common to trudge over before a steep, dodgy descent, scattered with scree. I managed to land on my backside, just the once, sticking my hand in some gorse at the same time.

Thanks for planning the walks Simon and kicking my backside. I do need the training, and the weekend was exactly that.
Thanks for doing the driving Emily. It was a busy drive back after two days walking, so much appreciated.

Would I do Sharp Edge again? Definitely yes, just not in wind, rain, snow or wellies.
pamfox

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:133   

Re: Sharp Edge

Postby simon-b » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:16 pm

What a day that was Pam. Thanks to you and Emily for the company, and well done to you both for conquering Sharp Edge. Nice to see you both taking on the crest of the ridge. Now let's have some pics where the star of the show wasn't behind the camera...

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

It was a successful weekend and we all achieved our targets: you bagged 11 new Wainwrights, I got my direct ascent of The Nab, and Emily topped up her suntan.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:56 am

Another cracking day Pam (blisters aside) great photos too, congrats on conquering Sharp Edge :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pamfox » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 am

ChrisW wrote:Another cracking day Pam (blisters aside) great photos too, congrats on conquering Sharp Edge :clap: :clap:

Thank you Chris. I'd been a bit nervous about it but it was so much easier than I thought. Simon picked a great day to do it because the weather was perfect and the rocks were bone dry.

When I look at some of the reports from Scotland they make me wonder why I ever worried about Sharp Edge! :crazy:
People have done some amazing walks and it's great to read about them on here :)
pamfox

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:22 pm

pamfox wrote:When I look at some of the reports from Scotland they make me wonder why I ever worried about Sharp Edge! :crazy:
People have done some amazing walks and it's great to read about them on here :)

You've nothing to worry about when it comes to Scotland either, Pam. Those distances, ascents and times we all managed over the weekend show we are definitely fit enough for our Skye plans.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:49 pm

A wonderful report of a great route over a great mountain and some very likeable lower hills too.

Reminded me of the day long ago when I set off from Mungrisedale intending to go only to Bannerdale Crags, but the weather turned out so nice and everywhere was looking so gorgeous that I couldn't resist, ended up doing Sharp Edge and Blencathra and then Bowscale Fell as well...

I think your photos definitely do the place justice!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 am

Well done Pam :clap: I may one day have a wander along Sharp Edge.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby pamfox » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:21 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:A wonderful report of a great route over a great mountain and some very likeable lower hills too.

Reminded me of the day long ago when I set off from Mungrisedale intending to go only to Bannerdale Crags, but the weather turned out so nice and everywhere was looking so gorgeous that I couldn't resist, ended up doing Sharp Edge and Blencathra and then Bowscale Fell as well...

I think your photos definitely do the place justice!

Tim

Thank you. The fact that you just nipped onto Blencathra via Sharp Edge and then Bowscale Fell just cos it was nice weather makes me ashamed of all the times I said I was knackered.
pamfox

Postby pamfox » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Well done Pam :clap: I may one day have a wander along Sharp Edge.

Thanks Anthony. I'd love to go back on it one day. It was my favourite part of the two days walking and was over so quickly. So much fun :)
pamfox

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:03 pm

Great report! I had no idea about this area, and if your pics are anything to go by, it's really good! And much closer to me than the Highlands.

Now transferred to that "to do" list!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland