walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

'Best Munros'

'Best Munros'

Postby Pensioner » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:46 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 01/06/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 964m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SE ridge Sgurr nan Gillean.jpg
There's a list on this website which ranks the Munros according to members enjoyment or fulfillment rating. Sgurr nan Gillean tops that list but I disagree that this is the 'best' Munro. I climbed Sgurr nan Gillean recently in glorious conditions for the 6th time, on this occasion by the SE ridge. Now SnG ticks a lot of the boxes; the epitome of a mountain as seen from Sligachan and elsewhere, testing scrambling by several routes and amazing views from the summit etc. But the rating of a mountain should also include other factors like the enjoyment and quality of the approach hike and the 'presence' of the mountain in the landscape. It also depends on which route you take to the summit; Sgurr Alasdair and Sgurr Dubh Mor for example. The walk-in from Sligachan is a bit of a featureless slog for many miles and then there's that height gaining grind up the loose headwall of Coire Riabhach which is full of choss. It's not until the last several hundred metres when you gain the crest of the SE ridge that things really pick up. The top 100m of SnG would get my vote but not the whole caboodle. There's many other Munros that I would rank above SnG for the totality of the experience including the quality and challenge of the approach hike- Sgurr na Ciche. Any thoughts? In the picture above there's a climber on the summit.
Pensioner
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:18   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:68   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland