walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhada Back to Front

Beinn Fhada Back to Front

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:19 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 28/05/2016

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 17.8 km

Ascent: 1221m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kintail is high on our list of favorite places and a traverse of Beinn Fhada is a walk we have been looking forward to for some time. The warm sunny weather continues, but there was a possibility of showers later so we decided to start the walk from Beinn Bhuide so we could complete the Hunters Gap scramble in the dry, we also though practice at scrambling down wouldn't go amiss.
image.jpeg
The Route
image.jpeg
Beinn Fhada ahead as we left the campsite at 6:35
image.jpeg
Looking south along the Glen to Cist Dhube from the activity centre
The path passed over the River Croe and shortly after that there was signpost for walkers. The psychological crux of the day commenced as the start of the ascent up Beinn Bhuide was through a field with cattle. They were satisfyingly in the middle of the field and it looked as though we wouldn't have to go near them so we resisted the urge to run back to the campsite and followed the path to the next gate where our adrenaline levels rose further as we saw this sign.
image.jpeg
Which side of the gate are they?
Unsure which field it related to we decided not to go through the gate but to ascend up the side of the fence. Not known for our uphill speed, we positively raced up Beinn Bhuide until we were safley across a broken gate acting as a makeshift cattle grid. I did wonder if the bull had charged the gate post when chasing a previous walker, but decided that was being overly paranoid.
At last we could look back and admire the views.
image.jpeg
Looking across Loch Duich
and resume a more seemly pace on the steep walk up Beinn Bhuide.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cloud floating around the five sisters
We followed the path, diverting to go up some although not all the minor tops, lots of up and down with short scrambley sections.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
At 10:15 we reached Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh and shortly after that the short scramble down to Hunters Gap.
image.jpeg
We started on the left of the slab
image.jpeg
moved to the right
and then an easy finish on the left. An awkward down climb as there were no ideal handholds for lowering yourself and the the foot holds were muddy and slippery. It was much shorter than we had been expecting with very little exposure and looked as though it would be much easier to go up. We rewarded ourselves with a brew in the gap before starting on the ridge.
image.jpeg
Start of the ridge
image.jpeg
Views all round
image.jpeg
The ridge was wider than it looked from below
image.jpeg
12:10 Meall an Fhurain Mhor
image.jpeg
The Plateau
image.jpeg
Summit ahead
image.jpeg
12:50 Beinn Fhada
image.jpeg
Admiring the views
image.jpeg
A long but scenic descent
image.jpeg
Path zigzagging downwards
image.jpeg
Then along Glean Choinneachain.
image.jpeg
Abundance of wild flowers
The cattle were all across the path at the base of Beinn Bhuide so we diverted around the farm buildings.
image.jpeg
Across the bridge
I couldn't resist these cuties as we passed the Activity Centre
image.jpeg
and back to the campsite at 17:00.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Beinn Fhada Back to Front

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:48 pm

A great day, CC. That scramble does look really good. A lot of us (including me, I'm afraid) miss out on it to add A' Glas-bheinn to Beinn Fhada, and then miss out on the Falls of Glomach. It's nice to see you on that rocky ridge that looks so impressive from around Morvich, and you got some good action shots from up there.

It's an idyllic area, and your route went pretty near the house at Innis a' Chrotha which was one of my favourite places to stay in Scotland. But now they don't do B and B anymore; something I'll miss if I return to Kintail. I imagine you'll look forward to going back there!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:57 am

simon-b wrote:A great day, CC. That scramble does look really good. A lot of us (including me, I'm afraid) miss out on it to add A' Glas-bheinn to Beinn Fhada, and then miss out on the Falls of Glomach. It's nice to see you on that rocky ridge that looks so impressive from around Morvich, and you got some good action shots from up there.
Thank you.
The traverse is a really enjoyable route, if you have the time to do it but would make a very long day if you were to add A'Glas - bheinn .
It's an idyllic area, and your route went pretty near the house at Innis a' Chrotha which was one of my favourite places to stay in Scotland. But now they don't do B and B anymore; something I'll miss if I return to Kintail. I imagine you'll look forward to going back there!

I agree with completely about it being idyllic and it would be wonderful to stay at Innis a'Chrotha. Shame about the B&B , from the number of cars parked up at one of the houses that there was some rented accommodation but I not sure what.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:17 pm

A great report on a hill that is definitely on my to-do list for my next visit to Scotland in October.

As I have a metal knee it is useful to see some close-up photos of the Hunter's Gap scramble - it looks like it will be fine if I go up it rather than down it!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:32 pm

It's a good walk this - I remember it feeling quite a long day. A much reglected mountain this one.
Would be really nice to walk the whole length of the mountain - say from Alltbeithe Hostel over its long back then down Hunter's Ridge - you realise then what a huge creature it is.
Thanks for posting
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:A great report on a hill that is definitely on my to-do list for my next visit to Scotland in October.

As I have a metal knee it is useful to see some close-up photos of the Hunter's Gap scramble - it looks like it will be fine if I go up it rather than down it!

Tim

Thank you. It is a great walk, the scramble was much shorter than we expected and looked much easier to go up as long as it is dry. I hope you have a good time in October.
weaselmaster wrote:It's a good walk this -
I couldn't agree with you more on this
Would be really nice to walk the whole length of the mountain - say from Alltbeithe Hostel over its long back then down Hunter's Ridge - you realise then what a huge creature it is.
Thanks for posting
I like that idea, there is something very satisfying about a full traverse, next time maybe.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland