walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

(some of) the Tarmachan Ridge, the hats & ghost stories!

(some of) the Tarmachan Ridge, the hats & ghost stories!

Postby happyhiker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 05/08/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

new day, new dawn, new walking crew.... it's been nearly 2 months since my last hill outing and this was a great one to get back into it :D However, mental note walking with geographers and geologists has plus and minus points. Plus: you'd hope you'd be in good hands navigationally and be amazed by their knowledge of the surroundings. Minus: agreeing a route is challenging (too many cooks...) and inspecting the variety of rocks along the way (so really what kind of rock was it again??) LOL.

Anyway today's plan was for a very good group of old pals to get together for our 'hat day' reunion and tackle a hill before enjoying a few post walking beers. [Hat day was created many yrs ago after a drunken day in the sun on the royal mile and a selection of obscure hats purchased from the charity shop next to pub - including one big fur hat - great for the sweltering heat that day!]. so rules of day were: bring usual walking gear and some item of head wear to brighten up the pictures! This included an extravagant fur number, an England hat (we r all Scots!) and a tea cosy!
IMG_0533.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

After a somewhat hair-raising drive from Killin to the car park - there is a reason why G is not allowed his granddaughter in the car!!!! We set off from the lower car park and headed off in one direction - then one geographer said to the other...
After much debate we changed direction and decide don a different route plan. we aimed to take in some of the ridge, prob not all of it, and G was intent on making sure we did some 'interesting' bits. All were raring to go, well nearly - Fi did keep enquiring about the need to go up a hill before going to pub! Was a very pleasant walk up the path and we all had a good blether - one of our group is just back from Malaysia for 2 wks so good catch-up time.
IMG_1743.jpg

The sun broke the clouds and the weather was fantastic - great views all around and saw Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin and Ben More & Stob Binnein in the distance just dipping into the clouds. G giving me a quick guide on what was where...
IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

We headed along the path and stopped for a spot of late lunch just at the quarry. The dino mix was produced and scoffed quite quickly!
IMG_1761.jpg

Much discussion about the rock being quarried and some plans made about pub and dinner later. then another minor change to planned route and it was agreed we'd cut out Beinn nan Eachan and just head off to Meall Garbh first.
IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

We made a good push up this wee bit and admired the peat hags along the way - now i even know more about how these were formed, one of the group had even written an essay on this! A big hare also flew out past us and then a little frog jumped by as we walked up past the stream - was a particularly evil looking frog in my opinion!
IMG_1771.jpg

As we headed up towards Meall Garbh Fi was a bit horrified that we still had a quite a distance and ascent to go - i couldn't possibly repeat the profanities! (she's not really a mountain goat at heart!). Things were made better when she realised that this little jaunt would require a tiny bit of scrambling. This was my favourite section and loved going up this rocky bit and realise that my hill skills are indeed beginning to improve, my hill head and sense of adventure are also now back in full force. But also very glad i was going up and not down this wee bit :-) Walking up to the peak of Meall Garbh was great and all of the group were pretty motivated at this point. The wind picked up now and it got pretty blustery up there and we could see rain off in the distance but still plenty away from us.
IMG_0559.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

We carried along the ridge and descended down past the wee lochan and then off up to Meall nan Tarmachan itself. Once at the Cairn the obligatory pictures were taken and the hats put back on (for some reason the big fur hat had not been worn for the full duration of the walk!). G now declared it was time to get off the hill and head to the pub but we were taking his shortcut as it was more interesting - oh good! H just rolled his eyes at this and prayed for a quick ending.
IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

As we headed down towards the dam we stopped to munch on a few wild growing blueberries - which were fantastic! H got bored off walking and took the faster if a little more unconventional way on his arse down hill :lol:
DSCN0216.jpg

The rain was starting to head towards us now but still we headed straight for the dam to walk across that and then join the road and head back down to the car. Somehow my phone died on the last bit so the last section of the walk was not logged - but managed to get most of it tracked.
IMG_0579.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

Great day was had by all and topped off with a few beers chilling on H's deck before we wandered down to the pub for some quality food - and then across the road for more beers and ghost stories!
IMG_0594.jpg

G's stories from Ben Alder cottage were good enough to scare the crap out of us all - will never stay there - ever! :shock: anyone else heard of the ghost and hauntings in Ben Alder cottage?? I have to say G is not usually a frivilous man or a wimp so i took him seriously!!!!!!!!!! :?
IMG_0587.jpg

TarmachanRidgeAug2010.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
IMG_0534.jpg
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: (some of) the Tarmachan Ridge, the hats & ghost stories!

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:50 pm

That fluffy-Russian hat thing looks the business :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby magicdin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Well that report brightened up a dull Friday - good stuff happyhiker :D

Ben Alder cottage - was the story about someone staying there and hearing furniture being moved about in next (EMPTY) room ? :shock:
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby murphy999 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:01 pm

hahahahahaha, :lol: :lol: :lol:
we saw you on the way home from Glen Lyon when we climbed Stuchd an Lochain, you had just came off the dam, I remember the hats!
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby happyhiker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:38 pm

murphy999 wrote:hahahahahaha, :lol: :lol: :lol:
we saw you on the way home from Glen Lyon when we climbed Stuchd an Lochain, you had just came off the dam, I remember the hats!

ah funny! i'm guessing we looked like a right bunch of eejits! :lol:
The fur number stole the show i think :D

Yeah the story was about hearing the banging furniture!! apparently there were 5 guys - 3 in one room and two in other - they all ended up in same room hearing the noise from the empty room!!
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby magicdin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Only stayed one night in Ben Alder cottage
Shared the bothy with two anglers
We had kind off settled down for the night - good fire blazing- drams to hand
When all of a sudden late at night the door flung open - three shocking apparations came in.
Horrible they were - dripping a terrible fluid all over the floor. :shock:
Rainwater of course it was - three lads on a Duke of Embra walk
Opened their rucsacs and produced two dozen cans of Tennent's lager
They were'nt shy in sharing them out - yeeha ya dancer - good night :D
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Not convinced that thrusting your head into a disembowelled rabbit is clever or funny - but the report was both clever and funny
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby happyhiker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:43 pm

LOL magicdin - lovin' your ghost story - that one convinced me....and maybe a trip to that bothy could be quite interesting :lol:
and you are right Scotjamie - head in a disembowelled rabbit isn't a good plan - so bad i decided to wear the England hat LOL
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland