walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Gearanach (...and last sighting of the bridge alive?)

An Gearanach (...and last sighting of the bridge alive?)

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Gearanach

Date walked: 21/05/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1120m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Fri 21/05/2010
Munros - An Gearanach
Route - Park at end of Glen Nevis - E along gorge path to Steall Falls - over wire bridge - ascend N ridge to summit. Retrace steps to return.
Weather - Very good…hazy sunshine, little or no wind.
People - Me / Michelle
Time - 6 Hours
Distance - 9.1km
Ascent - 1120m
Max Altitude - 982m

An Gearanach Route 21-05-2010.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An Gearanach Route 21-05-2010 Profile.jpg

============================================================================
This report is from 2 months ago - walked 2 days before the bridge broke! :shock:
As far as I know it's being fixed but isn't done yet.
News item: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/steall-falls-bridge-closed/001722/
============================================================================

After some extreme low cloud the day before, the forecast for today was similar. Potential thunderstorms in the east made the Cairngorms sounds unappealing. Cloud to the N and W promised to cover most tops but otherwise it was a semi-promising day. We opted for an easy-ish day in the Mamores and managed to find some hazy sunshine :)

Made our way into Glen Nevis, parked at the end, and walked towards Steall Falls on the path along the Nevis Gorge. It was a hazy day, but there were no complaints about the sunshine and warmth.

Looking back across the glen

Instead of sticking to the path all the way to Steall, near the end we dropped down on to the massive boulders in the gorge for a look around – from there we scrambled our way out into the open Steall meadow area and made our way toward the wire bridge where we could see an elderly couple watching a guy make his way across. Passing the elderly couple, who were now walking away from the bridge, the guy said he’d have went across “if she wasn’t here” lol. We met the Geordie guy at the other side – he was just having a wander around, having decided against doing Ben Nevis that day due to time constraints. He returned across the bridge. We carried on up the path and on to the summit of An Gearanach.

We dropped down off the path on to some big rocks in the gorge

Thought it'd be fun to scramble our way out

Scrambling out of Nevis Gorge into Steall meadow

Crossing the wire bridge

Steall Falls

Steall Hut & Ben Nevis

From here it was a steep but straight forward push up the zig-zagging path toward An Gearanach summit. Good views all the way.

Spotted a chopper going back and forth around the summit of Ben Nevis

A few minutes later it flew through the glen below us

Approaching summit (top left)

2 seconds after we hit the summit a couple appeared from the other direction, having just done the Ring of Steall. We chatted briefly – he remarked how they’d been out walking for days now – his trousers were thilthy – and he wondered when they’d start walking of their own accord! It was remarkably calm on the way up including on the summit – the midges took the opportunity to be a nuisance but luckily we were able to drop down one side to find a breeze and a spot to sit down for lunch.

An Gearanach summit. Looking S

S along ridge from An Gearanach to Stob Coire a' Chairn & Am Bodach

Sgurr a' Mhaim

An Gearanach summit cairn with Ben Nevis behind

Na Gruagaichean

As we made our way down a partridge walked beside us for a minute - quite unphased by our presence

Binnein Beag & Binnein Mor

Couldn't resist climbing a chunk of rock half way down An Gearanach

During the descent on the zig-zagging path we were caught up by a couple of Yorkshire guys. They were in need of water, stopping to collect some at a stream. They pondered how safe it was – I told them we'd drunk from it before and survived! They had been in the Cuillin the day before and got swamped in cloud – rather have a repeat performance they left early to get a day in the Mamores.

Steall meadow

Quite a few frogs around

We crossed the boulders again infront of the falls

Then made our way back across the bridge and along the path above the gorge back to the car park. Our leisurely day, with a late start, meant it was 9pm upon getting back to the car.

A cracking day - and the start of a 2 week tour around the country taking in the far NW, Skye, Outer Hebrides and the Cairngorms 8)
Last edited by HighlandSC on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:13   

Re: An Gearanach (...and last sighting of the bridge alive?)

Postby kw1980 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 pm

That brings back memories, I took my missus for a stroll to Steall waterfall back in February. Took the regular path though, would never have contemplated climbing up the rocks to get to the meadow, looks like you had fun. Love the picture of the helicopter below you.
kw1980
Walker

Munros:25   

Postby Stretch » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 am

Looks like you two had fun on this, great pics of the surrounding hills! But you know, frogs will give you warts :lol:
Stretch
Mountain Walker

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Michelle » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:38 am

Warts or no, I spent half my childhod catching frogs and other creepy-crawlies by the water, and haven't really stopped now that I'm older! :lol: I always keep an eye out for frogs when I walk, and seem to find quite a lot of them!

That partridge was really something, we slowed our steps and it paced us for a good distance- almost like a friendly dog eager to tag along for the walk... strange!!
Michelle
Wanderer

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby robertian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:16 am

Enjoyable read and some cracking photos

cheers
Ian

PS There's no way in this world , my wife is going to attempt the bridge !!!
robertian
Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby donal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:25 pm

red legged partridge never knew they could survive there usaully lowland bird on farmland
donal

Postby walk aboot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:32 pm

I didn't know the bridge broke :shock: . I'm a big feartie and I found walking across it fine, fun infact :D . It's the narrow bits on the gorge on the way in that I wasn't keen on :? .

My sister-in-law photographed two partridges in her front garden recently (wee village outside Inverurie). Lovely wee things :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:38 pm

I'd have been none the wiser but several people have been surprised at the partridge we saw and said the same thing - they don't normally venture anywhere near that high. This one was at around 850m.

Do they take flight much? This one didn't seem bothered by our presence and just walked along near to us.

Found another pic of it:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:13   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland