walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na h-Easgainn - Wet and windy in Moy

Carn na h-Easgainn - Wet and windy in Moy

Postby AdamMcBean » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Route description: Càrn na h-Easgainn, near Moy

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na h-Easgainn

Date walked: 16/06/2016

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 330m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So today the Mrs wanted to walk up another hill. I did think she was mad considering the weather, but off we went and this time to Carn na h-Easgainn. This is a lovely hilltop, situated close to the A9 between Inverness and Tomatin. Suposeably it has great views, but as you can see from my pictures, it was a bit wet, windy and foggy.

We took the A9 junction for Lynbeg and parked close to the cluster of small houses. There is one 4x4 clear path which is what took and we could see it took us up the side of the hill:

Things then got a little complicated as we came to a flood/river in the road. It would normally be easy to hop over the stones and get to the other side, but from the recent weather, the water was higher than most of the stones. I went over first and had to get across the Mrs along with making sure the dog didn't panic :clap:

The higher we got, the more the weather turned dull and foggy. The track remained all the way up the hill:

2 Estate workers eventually stopped and spoke with us and I could see they were evaluating us to see what we were up to. They asked us not to let the dog off the lead which we wouldn't anyway. We got up to the gate which appeared to be half way:

Another 30 minutes on the track and we got to the cairn:

We did walk along the track a good bit further just to lenghten out the walk, but when we got soaked to the skin from the rain, we called it a day and turned around. A good pace coming down the hill and we were back at the gate:

There were some nice views on the way down over to the hills on the other side of the A9 and the windfarm. I can imagine at the top on a nice sunny day it would be beautiful.

We got back to the car just in time as more heavy rain came down. It ended up being a 6.1 mile walk which took just under 2 hours. We did aim for something faster and longer but the weather just wasn't great today.

As always, my wee strava map:

1st Graham now complete. Even the dog is tired.. :crazy:
AdamMcBean
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland