walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond -Slowest ascent on record

Ben Lomond -Slowest ascent on record

Postby auld numptie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:14 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 17/05/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 12 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So at the age of 57 ... with a desk job, and no exercise for 40 years.. I thought it might be a good idea see what all this hill climbing lark was about . Well, after the slowest ascent on record I can report that it is gruesome painful tortuous punishment .. with the sweet enjoyment of achievement once the aches are gone.,
Ben lomond was a complete mystery that day.. the cloud cover started at 1000 ft.. and at any stage..I had no idea how much further I had to go . Only other walkers on the return journey saying that I had about 1 hour to go. (make that 4)
After 5 hours of start / stop to catch my breath/ start again.. I eventually reached the trig point.
Despite all the rumours, there is no tearoom at the top, or a bus waiting to take you back down.
The descent took 4 more hours, as I painfully took tiny steps over the rain soaked slippy pathways.
I have to thank the angels (forrestry workers) .. who took pity on me, and gave me a lift in their truck for the last mile back to the car park.
It took almost an hour standing under a hot shower.. before relief swept over me.. then the deepest sleep in years.
Would I do it again... probably not
Would I recommend it to others. Yes you have to put at least one munro on your bucket list
auld numptie

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland