walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnie Hill & Mount Hill

Cairnie Hill & Mount Hill

Postby dgcampbell » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:04 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnie Hill, Mount Hill

Date walked: 05/06/2016

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8.1 km

Ascent: 250m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cairnie Hill from Woodmill Mains
4.6km 2.9 miles; 1hr 15min; Summit 228m 748ft; Ascent GPS 140m 472ft

20160605a.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left early and parked by the telecomms mast at NO272155 by 8:50am. Overcast but dry and headed off aiming to follow the route marked by superstar_tradesman on his run up Cairnie Hill last summer. After the initial steep rise....

FT1020813.jpg
Initial ascent

Its an easy walk to the top of hill and I got to the summit rock after ducking through a few trees;

FT1020798.jpg
Summit rock with no views

I do think the gorse bush looks higher but wasn’t going to stand on that.
Just after leaving here I surprised a deer of some kind that went off in a hurry through the trees, not waiting long enough to give me a good look.

FT1020804.jpg
Lindores Loch

After this view I crossed over to go Eastwards downhill and made the poor choice of entering a field of heifers. They looked uninterested at first but once I was in their field they were intensely curious and I detoured over a nearby gate in what probably counted as indecent haste, before going round the field boundary on the more peaceful side of the fence. A farm track led back to road and the car parked at the side. It took me longer than 35min [75min in fact] and I never tried running, even when being pursued by the cattle!

Then on to the next stop for a walk to the Hope Monument.

Mount Hill from NO339159
3.5km 2.2 miles; 45min; Summit 221m 725ft; Ascent GPS 110m 350ft

20160605bUp.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked the car as suggested by McMole, April this year, then I pretty much followed the very straightforward and signposted track.
Easy woodland walking all the way up, sheep and lambs all around at one point.

FT1020816.jpg
After the sheep had moved off

Slightly odd was the echoing voice in the background from the PA system at a Vintage car rally outside Cupar, odd snatches of sentences kept drifting over on the wind.
I did have to go halfway round the top as expected to enter through the gate in the deer fence.

FT1020820.jpg
Hopetoun Monument

Although there was low cloud at least I could see the whole of the Monument and its solid looking doorway. Then quickly back down the same route to the start and the end of the morning’s exercise.
dgcampbell
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:19   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland