walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little Flower Hill

Little Flower Hill

Postby teaandpies » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Luibhean

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 17/06/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 674m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Luibhean with only 501 WH users having this hill as marked (at the moment of writing this) while the The Cobbler is sitting at 3535... Is Beinn Luibhean the most neglected easy accessible Corbett? Easy to over look, I've even done it my self http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53156

I had planned on doing a Munro or 2 on Thursday but the alarm went off and honestly I just couldn't be arsed getting out of bed :roll: so Thursday was a right off.

So on to Friday, the second of my 2 days off. With commitments late afternoon whatever hill I choose to do would have to be short but not necessarily sweet, something local. The cluster of Corbetts just after Arrochar are the closest significant hills to me that I still need to walk so picking something here made sense and chance to walk the hill that got away just over a year ago.

Car all parked up in the wee area that can't be called a car park, it'd be a minefield if I had a low car. The rubbish left all over place is also a disgrace.

There's a decent path to follow for the first part of the walk.

Looking over to Beinn an Lochan towering over the Rest and be Thankful.

The Brack. Next time.

Once you turn off the path at the bottom you are faced with a long steep pull up the hill but don't worry, there are plenty of rocks to rest on to catch your breath...be mindful of those darn midges :-x

Looking up Coire Croe.

This part of the walk was pretty steep :shock:

Beinn Ime looking big and just managing to keep it's head out of the clouds.

The Cobbler & Beinn Narnain

The Brack with it's other neighbour (Zoomed)

The last part of the walk was pretty tedious, just picking your way through the rocks and crags. I just wanted this to end, it wasn't hard but it wasn't fun either.

The views from the summit are worth the effort. Looking up Gleann Mor. A decent look at the approach to the summit of Ben Donich.

Looking over to Beinn an Lochan.

The walk down is quick. I did chose to walk down a bit further East of the route I took up the hill because I wanted to avoid the steeper parts of the hill. I did bump into this little beauty on the way down. Anybody know what it is? Some kind of orchid?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Little Flower Hill

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:24 am

teaandpies wrote:Anybody know what it is? Some kind of orchid?

Yup, Heath Spotted Orchid.

I guess Beinn Luibhean does get a lot less traffic than its neighbours - a good bet for some solitude around there. The round of Chorranach, Ime and Luibhean from Butterbridge is a good one.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby teaandpies » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:26 pm

jmarkb wrote:
teaandpies wrote:Anybody know what it is? Some kind of orchid?

Yup, Heath Spotted Orchid.

I guess Beinn Luibhean does get a lot less traffic than its neighbours - a good bet for some solitude around there. The round of Chorranach, Ime and Luibhean from Butterbridge is a good one.

Is it a rare?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:13 pm

teaandpies wrote:Is it a rare?

No, it's by far the commonest orchid on the hills: you can see them by the hundreds in some spots at this time of year.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby ancancha » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Rest and be thankful must have looked fab from up there :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby ArgyllGoSlow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:53 pm

I was up Ben Hiant this weekend and was also impressed with all the small flowers including Orchids. Very colourful

I have been up Ben Luibhean - went up via Butterbridge - no official walk on Walk Highlands at that time. Could see folk on other hills but no others on Ben Luibhean.
ArgyllGoSlow
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:15   

Postby teaandpies » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:28 pm

ancancha wrote:Rest and be thankful must have looked fab from up there :!:

Decent views all round.

ArgyllGoSlow wrote:I was up Ben Hiant this weekend and was also impressed with all the small flowers including Orchids. Very colourful

I have been up Ben Luibhean - went up via Butterbridge - no official walk on Walk Highlands at that time. Could see folk on other hills but no others on Ben Luibhean.

It's took the time to checkout that orchid then kept my eyes out for more but didn't see any.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland