walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby tilley hemp th5 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 29/07/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Schiehallion was very busy. large path most of the way...then into the mist !!!! weather improved later so saw some of the views. 4 hours and ten minutes........ 2 hours to top (about 10 min of stops) weather improved on way down so had a long 30 min lunch and photo break. met 2 guys who went up in 1 hour 30 min then ran down in 30 minutes.... impressed i definately was...those days long behind me now.........
more like lake district than scotland in terms of people on the hill......busy !!!!

morning of 29th july on Schiehallion. Ptarmigan flew up in front of me about 10 metres away. only seen them in winter white before so this was a real treat to see the heavily camouflaged large bird take off. looked just like a boulder taking off (speckled grey) !!!!
walker a little behind me asked what it was as he had never seen one in the flesh......
made up for the misty summit (almost).

brownish grey (white) hares running about in the same area just below the first boulder field. it was raining at this stage of the walk so camera was in ruckack unfortunately.
also saw a few grouse flying around ...must be getting near 12th august !!!!
Parking fee of £2......................
P1020420.JPG
Promise of a good viewing day.......not to be !!!!
P1020393.JPG
Dont forget to pay the parking fee...... £2
P1020396.JPG
Start of boulder field
P1020398.JPG
Another misty scottish summit !!!
P1020404.JPG
Mist and cloud lifting on way down.....Loch Rannoch......Glencoe in the far distance
P1020407.JPG
Loch Tummel
P1020411.JPG
tilley hemp th5
Mountaineer

Munros:51   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland