walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Heart Fell (Sank)

My Heart Fell (Sank)

Postby Pensioner » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:34 am

Route description: Hart Fell ridges horseshoe, near Moffat

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Hart Fell

Date walked: 18/06/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 640m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The only reason I did this walk was because my partner was playing in a golf competition at Moffat. I have done very few hills in this central Borders area and now I know why. Other reviews have commented favourably on these hills but I don't agree. This was one of the most tedious and wearisome hill rounds that I've ever done. It was a beautiful day with little wind and extensive visibility. These hills have some impressive features like massive vegetated cliffs extending from the plateau to the valley floor, huge grassy bowls and brooding great shoulders. But the summit plateaus are endless mind numbing expanses of grass stretching on forever. I found the sparsity of clear paths annoying and I can't recall the last time I walked on so much tussocky grass for mile after mile. Yes it was unusual to walk on a vast tableland perched in the sky but I found my mind wandering to other things and wishing I'd brought my mountain bike. To be caught up here on this flatland in the fury of a full blown winter blizzard would be absolute hell. What these hills are really made for is ski mountaineering. The passage through Whirly Gill was particularly tedious and dreary. Only the section over the Saddle Yokes sparked some interest and the subsequent steep grassy descent. It's interesting to note that in extent this hill massif is not much smaller than the entire Cuillin Ridge, but perhaps just a wee bit easier!

Why the SMC chose this for their formal inaugural meet in 1891 beats me. I'll again be accompanying some golf fanatics in August to Peebles and Moffat but I won't be going on the hill. :thumbdown:
Pensioner
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:18   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:68   Islands:35

Re: My Heart Fell (Sank)

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 pm

The Southern Uplands are very much less dramatic then their northern counterparts. They are rounder, grassier and not to mention generally not as high :wink: But ... for me they have a charm all of their own. I love walking that area.

Since they are less traveled by people, they tend not to haver any paths. That's a huge plus for me, it adds to the sense of wilderness and exploration. The hills being rounder and generally having less bits to fall off, makes them perfect for making your own routes and generally using them to school navigation skills.

But we all like different things. Each to their own, etc. There are plenty of hills out there to enjoy :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby ExpatEddie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm with the Squirrel on this one. These are my local hills and I don't think I will tire of them. Seen them in sun and snow, calm and blustery. I've squleched through bog and tripped on tussocks because there are few paths. There are also few people which gives them an attraction just a short drive away.

Sorry Pensioner that you will not be exploring the Glen Sax horseshoe or Dollar Law in August but will be chasing a wee white ball running over the surface of a big green one :)
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby Tinto63 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:35 pm

I agree with the two previous posts. These are some of my favourite hills and I'm pretty sure I won't tire of walking in them. I like the rough pathless nature of them and the number of rounded ridges with great views. It is also always possible to find new routes to explore. On a recent Saturday I started at Talla Linnfoots, went up beside the Gameshope Burn almost to Rotten Bottom, then cut up to Cape Law, Din Law and Ellers Cleuch Rig, onto the shoulder of Garelet Dod, then back down to Gameshope Bothy and back to the car. Only saw two other walkers all day - but they were on Great Hill as I was having lunch on Din Law. For company I had skylarks and meadow pipits, sandpipers on the Gameshope Burn, a good few wheatear and a number of wrens etc. Additionally there were quite a few orchids in the damper parts which always raise my spirits.

If you want something a little more scenic try parking at the Grey Mare's Tail, and go up to Loch Skeen, then up the ridge towards Donald's Cleuch Head and and along to Firthhope Rig and White Coomb. Return either by the usual route down to the head of the Tail Burn or over Carrifran Gans and down the east ridge and through the forest (this is quite hard going). And you will have ticked another Corbett.

I'm also a pensioner of some (many?) years but hope to have quite a few more before my ashes end up somewhere in these hills.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby Pensioner » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:55 pm

I agree each to his/her own. But for me it's narrow ridges and rock. I started hillwalking in Scotland when I was 10 and am still going strong. I lived in the Highlands for over 30 years. From 1978 to 2003 I visited Skye at least twice every year. I have many interests and it's dramatic features that float my boat which tends not to be flowers or wildlife unless its something distinctive like eagles, otters or salmon.
Pensioner
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:18   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:68   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland