walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glencoe,Affric, Strathfarrar and 10 to go

Glencoe,Affric, Strathfarrar and 10 to go

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Bidean nam Bian, Càrn Eige, Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan, Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 07/06/2016

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesady 7th June
Bidean nam Bian,Stob Coire Sgreamhach.
6.96 miles, 11.2km, ascent 1334mtrs.

Had driven up from Tyneside the previous night for the 5th decent Scottish trip this year alone. The target was the Glen Affric hills but being too far to drive I had to settle driving to Bridge of Orchy, kipping there in the van and needing an early start in Glen Affric I chose instead to do a Glencoe hill and then drive to Glen Affric. Parked up on the big car park on the A82 around 9 in the morning and took the path across the meeting of the three waters and up into the coire leading to Stob coire nan Lochan. I had been here a month previous and hadn't fancied the ascent up to Bidean due to the amount of wet snow lying around. Climbed again up the east shoulder of SCNL and then descended to the col between that and Bidean which was largely free of snow. To my disappoint after the recent spell there was a large of mist which occasionally swept across the tops. Glencoe were the hills of my youth some 35yrs ago and I'm sure I've been on Stob Coire Sgreamhach, before it was a munro, to do the Beinn Fhada ridge but I just cant remember it so a repeat was in order. Dropped down from Bidean and then continued on before dropping back down to the loose stone chute at the lowest part of the col. The descent is not pleasant but is short lived before the path is reached. In the lost valley which I reckon I haven't been in since 1980 I resisted the temptation to climb the big boulder and descended straight to the car park arriving to the sounds of the piper. Its a relatively short round but hard on the knees and feet. Drove around to Fort William to use Morrison's and could see very dark clouds to the north

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Wednesday 8th June.
Toll Creagach, Tom A Choinich, Carn Eighe, Bionn Fionlaidh, Mam Sodhail.
19.8 miles, 31.8km ascent 2305 metres.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The previous evening I had driven up from Fort William up to Glen Affric and to my surprise the area had been hit by torrential rain and at one point in the glen a burn had burst its banks and moved boulders across the road surface. Parked and slept in an old quarry just pat the Chisholm bridge. Woke up the next morning and was disappointed to see low cloud and overcast conditions. Took the new hydro road which had suffered water damage and then eventually to the old path. Its disappointing the new hydro tracks that are being bulldozed, you can see from the old track what it was like before. Because of the clag I couldn't find the track straight up Toll Creagach and went to the old pass path up Bealach Toil Easa. I had been this way before in April 2008 when a heavy snow dump and leaking boots stopped my day. Got to the Bealach and then cut back right to Creagach which is a surprising distance from the Bealach. Returned to the Bealach and then began the ascent of Tom A Choinich. I then began the continuance of the ridge to Carn Eighe. The ridge is delight to walk, unfortunately I was in the clag for most of the way. I will return to this is on a decent day. Got to Carn Eighe and took a compass bearing for Bienn Fionnlaidh. On the way I surprised a grouse with 6 chicks. The chicks scattered whilst the mother buzzed my feet and then comically walked wounded in front of me. Began the descent to Bienn Fionnlaidh and then the ascent which I moved up surprisingly quick before returning to the col. Rather than climbing high up to Carn Eighe I took a bypass path that started more or less as you start to ascend Carn Eighe. It did disappear every now and again but I ascended easily and got to the col before the ascent of Mam Sodhail. Descended by way of Coire Leachavie which is a long way down and then a long way along the track on the north side of Loch Affric before getting back to the van in a 12 hour day. A magnificent day, 19.8 miles, 31.8km and 2305 metres of ascent on hills that I had wanted to do for a long time. I will however return, maybe on an autumn day to do the connecting ridge again

Thursday 9th June.
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, Mullach Na Dheiragain, An Socach

Stayed overnight again in the old quarry and then in the morning drove into the car park and paid the £2 for parking. The midges were out in force as I got my bike set for the cycle along the southern path of the loch. I cycled for 6.42 miles stopping by the path that leads up by the Alt Coire Ghaidheil. The track by the loch was fine but the newly laid sections from Strawberry cottage were awful. Climbed up by the burn and then onto an excellent stalkers track up to the col. From there it was a simple walk up to An Socach. met a guy on top who had 6 munros to do, Blaven and the hills I did yesterday. Continued on and as Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan had its head in the clouds made the decision to do the Mullach instead.I dropped down just after the path started to rise from the col and got to the streams. The heat was suffocating and I began to feel thirsty and dry. I carry a 1 litre of sugary tea so had to ration it as I could see there would be no water on the ridges. Met a welsh lad on top of the Mulach who had gone from Glen Affric car park to Mam Sodhail, Carn Eighe, Beinn Fionnlaidh and dropped down to the glen before ascending the Mullach and Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan. I thought I was working hard!
The ascent of the Mullach is easy. The ascent of Ceathreamhnan must be around 1000ft sections of which are on a great ridge. if it was in England it would be praised to the hilt. Got to the top and drained the remainder of the flask and began the descent to the col that would lead to the YH. As I descended I felt extremely dehydrated and began to drink from stagnant pools that I found. If they are peaty bottomed I leave them alone but if they are rocky I would swish the surface and check what was in my hand. After the col dropped down to the nearest stream and refilled with water which felt warm given the heat. Getting to the YH I still had a 2 mile walk back to the bike which I found had been moved. I had chained it to the bridge but it had been pushed around the bridge edge and but for the chain would have been in the burn. The cycle to Strawberry cottage was impossible in the tired, dehydrated condition that I was in and I pushed to the bridge past the cottage before a slow cycle back to the van. A 24 mile day, 14 of them on the hills with 2306 metres of ascent over another 12 hour day.

Friday 10th June.
Strathfarrar hills

The weather had definitely broken. As I drove around to the glen the cloud remained around the 800 feet mark and stayed like all day. Completed the round using compass bearings all the way round which is not a bad thing. Its easy to become blasé and its not bad to refresh the skills. I can imagine its a good airy walk particularly from Sgurr a Choire Ghlais westwards and another worthy of an Autumn repeat. Got back to the van and did my good deed for the day giving a lift to 2 backpackers back to Cannich to pick up their vehicle.

I stayed again in Glen Affric as I still had to do the Mullardoch munros but the forecast was poor and on Saturday it was tipping down so I began the long drive home. All in a good trip, the total is gradually getting there. I'm now on 272, 10 to go. The end is in sight, I've got the Inn Pinn in July and then will do a Mullardoch/ Fisherfield backpack in October to finish off.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Glencoe,Affric, Strathfarrar and 10 to go

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Another well organised trip - well done. Still haven't been down Glen Affric but probably will do some time. I see you have a couple of good trips for 9 of your remaining munros - have you booked a guide for the InPinn ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby OpenC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:15 am

Well done man, that is a big old chunk taken out of what remained :) I'm just the 212 behind you :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:30 am

Well done Guinessman for sheer persistence :clap: . I felt for you when I saw your post and knowing that the weather changed/was changing.

Those Mullardoch Hills are brutes. I am planning on doing them as a 12 in mid July. Looking to bivvy it over 2 days going anti-clockwise.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby Emmanuelle » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:05 am

You had the same experience as me on these big rocks on the track. What possessed them to do this? You did well though with your round, especially coming from Tyneside. I've 11 to go so not far behind you. Good luck with compleation!
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:43 pm

rockhopper wrote:Another well organised trip - well done. Still haven't been down Glen Affric but probably will do some time. I see you have a couple of good trips for 9 of your remaining munros - have you booked a guide for the InPinn ? - cheers :)

Cheers, yeah got a guide booked, Jonah jones for the 16th. Booking courtesy of dommie of this site who has organised it for 5 of us.

OpenC wrote:Well done man, that is a big old chunk taken out of what remained :) I'm just the 212 behind you :)

thanks, you will get there or enjoy trying!

Borderhugh wrote:Well done Guinessman for sheer persistence :clap: . I felt for you when I saw your post and knowing that the weather changed/was changing.

Those Mullardoch Hills are brutes. I am planning on doing them as a 12 in mid July. Looking to bivvy it over 2 days going anti-clockwise.

Thanks for that Hugh. I was planning to do the Mullardoch and Fisherfield hills on this trip but they will keep until the autumn.

Emmanuelle wrote:You had the same experience as me on these big rocks on the track. What possessed them to do this? You did well though with your round, especially coming from Tyneside. I've 11 to go so not far behind you. Good luck with compleation!

Its impossible to cycle on them until it beds in. Good luck with your compleation. If my plans had been successful the Inn Pinn would have been my compleation but I think I will make it A Mhaighdean on a Mullardoch to fisherfield backpack finishing at Poolewe
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Well done, those are big hills and the Glen Affric/ Glen Strathfarrar ones also involve big walk ins and outs. Great job fitting this into 4 days. Good luck with the final 10! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland