walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Conival & Ben More Assynt

Conival & Ben More Assynt

Postby Jokester » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 12/06/2016

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1197m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These were my last Monro's in the far North, so time to tick them off the list.

It was a lovely drive up from Aberdeenshire and it was only once I reached Ullapool that the cloud cover started to come in. From the car park it was a simple case of crossing the river by the road bridge and turning right and following the track up the glen.

The summit was shrouded in cloud at this point, but hopefully it would clear up later.

ImageIMG_0401 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

A decent path leads it's way up the right of the river before sweeping right and upwards.

ImageIMG_0404 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Eventually I came to a point where there didn't appear to be any obvious route up through a ring of rock and I wished I had paid more attention to the Walkhighlands guide!

ImageIMG_0405 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

It looked like the the best route was to the right as there appeared to be a break in the rocks.

ImageIMG_0406 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

This didn't appear to be a particularly great decision, the scree was loose underfoot and increasingly steep, but once through the gap it turned to larger boulders which were easier and quicker to travel over.

ImageIMG_0407 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

From here it was straight forward up to the Conival summit shelter.

ImageIMG_0409 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Unfortunately the summit was well in the cloud so the walk over to Ben More Assynt didn't give much more than a hint of the grandeur of the ridge walk.

ImageIMG_0412 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Soon though the summit loomed out of the cloud.

ImageIMG_0415 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

The return was back the way I came to Conival and then back along the path downwards.

ImageIMG_0418 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
At this point I dropped my camera and broke it :(

Following the path down it looked like I might have made the right choice making my own way up as the path was horrendous. Twice I slipped in the loose gravel that made up the path. Worse than that, now out of the cloud, I was in bright sunshine and had left my hat in the car, so ended up burnt to a crisp!
Attachments

Track 014.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland