walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Muick - now £4 parking charge

Loch Muick - now £4 parking charge

Postby KatTai » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Route description: Loch Muick Circuit

Date walked: 22/06/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Wasn't going to post a report since we only walked to the big house and back, with swimming at the big house and at the boat house for the dogs. Wish I had my bike because I was very much abandoned when we were heading to the wooden bridge as the dogs took off to reach the water! At least I might have had some chance of keeping up with them if I was on the bike!

Anyway, mainly posting to let people know that the parking charge is now £4, though the season pass is still only £15 from Ballater Tourist Information Centre (I went and got myself one). Last time I was there there was still some flood damage to the road section up to the house but this has all been repaired. There was work being done on the bit outside the toilets and there was big machinery working on the section that leads towards Lochnagar. From the side of the loch I was on, it didn't look like anything had been done regarding the section of path around the other side of the loch that had been damaged by a landslide.

The red deer were grazing in the field, their new antlers are growing quickly! Also saw a willow warbler and best of all I found three willow warbler chicks (think they are willow warbler anyway) and we got a telling off from the common sandpiper who weren't happy with us down by the water by the wall at the edge of the woods around the house so we moved on until they shut up and left us alone!

b.jpg
Red deer stags

c.jpg
Willow warbler (I think, wasn't chiff-chaffing anyway!)

e.jpg
Common sandpiper

h1.jpg
Willow warbler fledgling (I think)

2.jpg
All the dogs!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland